Board index FlightGear Development

FG 3.4 Windows: File Selection Box

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

FG 3.4 Windows: File Selection Box

Postby mhab » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:36 am

Hello

Are there any FG Windows users out there ?
In FG 3.4 (full screen mode) I wondered what happens when I try to set e.g. the Screenshot Directory ?

1) It seems NOTHING happens
2) until you notice that the new and nice designed Fileselection box is just not displayed, because it is hidden below the full screened FG main window ...

Is this a bug or how is this supposed to work ?

Mike-DE
mhab

Callsign: D-MIKE
Version: 2020.3.4

Re: FG 3.4 Windows: File Selection Box

Postby clrCoda » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:04 am

I can't tell you if this is a bug or not; if this was intended or not, but it seems that the file folder selection windows for the screenshot and flight recorder will be behind the full screen.
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Thorsten » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:46 am

Doesn't the window manager of the OS decide upon the z-ordering of windows?
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:50 am

I am not on Windows - but I have done Windows coding, and basically it depends on how the MessageBox/dialog is invoked (being modal or not).
However, I didn't know that native OS dialogs were now being used there - which I find also a bit surprising ...
But yes, you can tell the Windows API to show a modal dialog which will be shown on top of a window - in the case of DirectX/OpenGL apps, that may involve sending the fullscreen window to the background, or even minimizing it.
But again, I am not on Windows - and I wasn't even aware that people started using native OS dialogs there now ...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby sanhozay » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:24 am

Could this be the Qt5 stuff that Zakalawe has been working on?

@OP; where did you get 3.4 from? Could you make a screenshot of this redesigned window?
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:32 am

As far as I understand, the Qt5 stuff is currently only enabled for the Mac/OSX platforms because the corresponding launcher there had to be discontinued (well its dependencies got phased out by Apple) - and shouldn't be used anywhere else (yet).
So I believe this should be something else - and looking at the code in question, I think it's this:

https://gitorious.org/fg/flightgear/sou ... Dialog.cxx

However, it is true that it's indeed Zakalawe who's been adding native platform GUI stuff (it all started out with the Mac menubar ...) - you can usually spot his work by looking for the whole "postinit()" logic all over the place...
But I guess, I'll leave it to windows folks to actually test this one and report back here. Keep in mind though, that Zakalawe is also primarily on Mac OSX, so Windows related commits may not have gotten enough testing (yet).

A possible workaround is discussed at SO: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2378 ... ot-showing
https://www.opengl.org/discussion_board ... dialogs-pb

So if you can patch the C++ code accordingly, you should test this - otherwise, please file a proper bug report linking back to this posting/thread for additional pointers.
Last edited by Hooray on Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Gijs » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:35 am

This is not Qt. It's been around for over a year now (see https://gitorious.org/fg/flightgear/com ... c45a57d2ad), to make it much much easier to browse to files. I must admit that I didn't test the behaviour with fullscreen and apparently no-one did till now. It's certainly not by design, so it's worth seeing if we can fix it ;-)
Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS

Postby Hooray » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:38 am

I've edited my posting to add possible workarounds - the issue is that modal dialogs do not work that well in fullscreen DirectX/OpenGL mode, so the corresponding C++ code may need to be augmented.
However, normally, it doesn't make much sense to use native UI widgets when in fullscreen mode - which is where the whole contradiction is coming from IMO.
So you really need to ensure that the dialog is shown modal, and that the fullscreen window is either set into the background or minimized completely, which still is kinda ugly compared to native UI dialogs (e.g. using Canvas)
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Gijs » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:07 am

Hm, just tried plain FG from current Git and the dialog pops up nicely in front of the main window here...

clrCoda wrote in Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:04 am:I can't tell you if this is a bug or not; if this was intended or not, but it seems that the file folder selection windows for the screenshot and flight recorder will be behind the full screen.

Does this mean you can reproduce the issue? What version of Windows are you on?

sanhozay wrote in Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:24 am:Could you make a screenshot of this redesigned window?

Nothing special about it, it's just a native Windows dialog as you'll find on any other piece of software when you want to open/save a file ;-)
Like said above, it was already included in 3.2, so you probably can even try it on your own computer.
Gijs

Postby clrCoda » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:31 am

not only can I reproduce this ( windows vista home basic ) I've learned to expect and live with it.
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Gijs » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:41 am

Do you see the same in non-fullscreen mode? What if you switch between fullscreen and windowed from within the sim, versus starting the sim with --enable-fullscreen?
Gijs

Postby clrCoda » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:00 pm

I can't seem to start in a window mode.
I can start in a fullscreen, if I select for the screenshot or flight recorder directories, then I have to use CTRL-ALT-DEL to get to the folder selection box, and then when i dismiss that box, the full screen FG running ap returns to the screen.

If I first use the SHIFT-F10 to reduce the size of the screen ( I know I said I can't load it but this works ) then the folder selection box for screenshot or Flight Recorder will load in front of the window.

Again, i'm windows vista home basic dual D chips 4gigRam x300Radeon

--ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:06 pm

clrCoda wrote in Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:31 am:not only can I reproduce this ( windows vista home basic ) I've learned to expect and live with it.

can you ALT-TAB to get to it when in fullscreen mode? i'm on linux and haven't seen this but i ALT-TAB through numerous other windows (and CTRL-TAB for other desktops) all the time... i haven't thought to try this on my one remaining winwhatever box which is running vista-32 home... now that i have the fgdata here on my internal network, i suppose i could copy it over for testing but let's see what else comes up first...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:09 pm

clrCoda wrote in Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:00 pm:I can't seem to start in a window mode.
I can start in a fullscreen,

what are you using to start your FG? if FGRun, then uncheck the fullscreen box and make sure you select a window size equal to or smaller than your screen resolution...

clrCoda wrote in Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:00 pm:if I select for the screenshot or flight recorder directories, then I have to use CTRL-ALT-DEL to get to the folder selection box,

as noted above, try ALT-TAB and see if you can switch to that selection box...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby clrCoda » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:37 am

alt-tab, no go in a full screen mode. That is, the system does not respond to ALT-TAB, but it does respond to CTRL-ALT-DELETE
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Next

Return to Development