Board index FlightGear Development

Runway

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Runway

Postby Divi » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I want to place a new runway with some modification from the existing runway database.

The placement of the runway is near by the existing runway with some small offset distance.

I tried placing the runway nearby existing one by calling the runway .btg file in .stg file with different altitude values but this did not work. All i could see was existing runway only. Can anyone help me out in this task?
Divi

Version: 3.0

Re: Runway

Postby elgaton » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:18 pm

You should:
  1. check that the modifications you intend to perform are not in the X-Plane Airport Gateway;
  2. get the latest apt.dat file;
  3. use WorldEditor to import the airport from apt.dat and use its runway tool to place the new runway;
  4. use TerraGear to create the new scenery so as to test it.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby Divi » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:27 am

Thanks for yo reply hope the same in future.

I use ubuntu and i'm not aware of X-plane airport gateway, i just have a tar file ( ex: VO95.btg.gz) which is called in corresponding file with .stg file extension.
And i want to place the runway nearby to the existing runway . I duplicated another runway near existing runway using blender, but when i'am calling that file i couldn't to see two runways, i could see only an white patch over the runway which is seen.
Coming to scenery, i've updated database only but i need to do some modifications in it. Hope u got what i am trying t explain ..
Divi

Postby psadro_gm » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:09 pm

The .btg files really can't be copied. They contain the 3d nodes in worldspace. copying them will just create two copies of the same object located at the same position. besides the .BTG for airports (icao.btg.gz) have corresponding holes cut into the terrain 1234567.btg.gz. if you generate an airport .btg without regenerating the surrounding tiles, you will get z-fighting between the terrain and the airport ( thiis can be seen in some places in world scenery 2.0 - where sometimes the hole was not cut correctly )

The fourth link mentioned above details the process to regenerate the airport and tiles correctly.
8.50 airport parser, textured roads and streams...
psadro_gm

IRC name: psadro_*
Version: git

Postby Divi » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:14 am

As u told i created space for runway on the terrain and loaded but i'm unable to load it. I used blender 2.49 version for btg file modification.
Can u Brief some more about it or is there another solution for this....
Divi

Postby elgaton » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:05 am

You can't just use Blender to modify the scenery - you need to use WorldEditor and TerraGear (as explained above).
  1. Go to the X-Plane Airport Gateway, click on "Airport Scenery" at the top, enter the ICAO code of the airport you want to edit and click "Go!". The airport will appear in the list below the text box, click it.
  2. Check the name of the artist that appears in the row marked with a green tick. If it's "WEDbot", that means no one else has worked on the airport, so you're free to edit it - go to the next step in this list. If it's not "WEDbot", someone else has worked or is working on it (and has probably already added the missing runway), so stop.
  3. Go to the X-Plane data page, download the latest data and unzip it.
  4. Create the "X-Plane/Custom Scenery" directory and download/configure WorldEditor according to the instructions on the wiki page.
  5. In WED, create a new scenery pack for the airport you want to edit, then open it. Click on "File -> Import apt.dat..." and browse to the apt.dat file you downloaded from the X-Plane data page. A new window will appear asking you which airport you want to import, select it and click "Import".
  6. Use the Runway tool in WED to add the missing runway.
  7. Click on "File -> Export apt.dat..." and save the resulting apt.dat file.
  8. Follow the instructions in the TerraGear wiki page to download, build and use TerraGear (the tool we use to regenerate the terrain).
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Return to Development