Board index FlightGear Development

FlightGear GUI hell: PUI, Canvas GUI, Mongoose, Qt5 ??

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Re: FlightGear GUI hell: PUI, Canvas GUI, Mongoose, Qt5 ??

Postby Hooray » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:55 pm

Actually, as can be seen in this thread, Torsten has been working towards a HTML5/JavaScript based GUI solution...
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby onox » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:18 pm

Hooray wrote in Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:55 pm:Actually, as can be seen in this thread, Torsten has been working towards a HTML5/JavaScript based GUI solution...

That's the separate fgpanel, right? I'm talking about replacing the in-game PUI GUI with something better. If you want to use HTML5 for that, you're gonna need a built-in HTML5 engine like webkit. I don't think that's a good choice unless you want to blow up RAM usage.
onox
Retired

Postby Hooray » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:22 pm

Actually, see Torsten's original announcement: for the time being his work is intended to be an alternate UI that will be external and browser-based.
We've had a few webkit related discussions, too - basically sharing your concerns.
Then again, compared to Qt, webkit is a relatively lightweight dependency - equally, webkit is already supported by an OSG plugin, too.
But that was never the point/focus of Torsten's announcement: viewtopic.php?p=228281#p228281

The real problem is that with so many overlapping UI efforts, there are only very few opportunities to collaborate properly, because people are pulling into hugely different directions.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Hooray » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:19 pm

http://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/mai ... /34534194/
James Turner wrote:/Another/ option is we optionally host /all/ of Phi in an embedded Qt-webview [or even a non-Qt solution for embedding a web browser, but I don’t think that exists] inside FlightGear, and make a re-style that looks more like a normal GUI than something web-based.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Subject: BROWSER MP-MAP plotted on a MFD somebody?
Hooray wrote:yeah, there's even code in $OSG_SRC/examples doing exactly this, i.e. rendering a fully interactive webkit-browser to a texture. But all those dependencies are not really relevant to FlightGear. Also, there would be quite a bit of redundant stuff added, which we don't even use in other places.

Subject: GUI Styles vastly ignored, Why ?
Hooray wrote:Concerning the other two UI efforts going on (web UI and Qt5), there remains one issue that need to be addressed in order for either of those to be considered a viable alternative/replacement for PUI or the Canvas UI (a GUI running inside the main FG process/window): dependencies i.e. accepting WebKit, and especially, Qt5, as build-time dependencies for all platforms would need to be thoroughly discussed on the devel list to arrive at some consensus. And looking at how divided the FG community was in early 2006 when Mathias started adding OSG, or when Tim started adding boost - it is foreseeable that consensus will be hard to establish ...

Subject: FlightGear GUI hell: PUI, Canvas GUI, Mongoose, Qt5 ??
Hooray wrote:For Torsten's work to literally conflict with the Canvas GUI effort, he would have to find a consensus among core developers to accept WebKit as a dependency into FlightGear (which is available as an OSG plugin), i.e. so that the mongoose GUI would also work as an integrated UI. Equally, rendering internal cameras (MFDs, instruments or scenery) is going to be challenging for anything external, unless you only want to display a "stream".

So yeah, there's /some/ competition in the house - but it's not a bad thing per se, and it also isn't uncommon for FlightGear to have a bunch of incompatible/mutually-exclusive features (think FDMs, scripting solutions, systems modelling blocks, weather systems etc), with different people believing in different approaches.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Johan G » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:58 pm

Regarding FGRun/Qt5/Phi/third party front ends I start to see that we are about to do something that is... not that new: :wink: :roll:

xkcd #927: Standards

Somehow I think it has more to do with how maintainable the existing solutions are rather than the real needs (which still are there of course). :|
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Previous

Return to Development