Board index FlightGear Development

Quad-Copter FPV

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Quad-Copter FPV

Postby Illogic » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:03 pm

Hello!

I'm very new here, I just bought my first full function Radio (Taranis FRSKY X9D) and I'm seriously considering supporting this community to practice using my radio. My only concern is that I have invested in the Radio and an XHover Quad Copter but no Flightgear add-ons support the Quad-Copter! (Its the latest and greatest R/C apparently, I went RC Plane searching first, but these XHover racing Quads are rediculous...) I would really like to see some feedback to this post, regarding the possible development, or future plans to include this model in the simulator.

Regards!
Illogic

Re: Quad-Copter FPV

Postby Hooray » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:29 pm

Hi & welcome,

as long as your RC can be hooked up to your computer to act like a conventional joystick, you can usually also use the device in FlightGear.
Regarding any particular aircraft/3D model - there's two sides to that: 1) the actual 3D model, 2) the flight dynamics model (FDM).
For starters it should be possible to use an existing quadrocopter model/FDM, and then either customize/adapt the model - or come up with a new model from scratch.
Overall, FlightGear is and remains open source - so pretty much anything is possible, it's all determined by your own motivation, interests and obviously spare time, too.

Strictly speaking, you don't even need a 3D model to get started, and you could probably adapt an existing FDM and tweak it a little.

Once you do a little research on the forum, you'll find a number of people interested in RC/UAV work, including people who have done quadro-copter projects. This includes people involved in FlightGear core development. I'd suggest to run a forum search to get in touch with other contributors.

You'll also find a number of such projects on youtube, for instance:

Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby HinaHopper » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:12 am

Illogic wrote in Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:03 pm:Hello!

I'm very new here, I just bought my first full function Radio (Taranis FRSKY X9D) and I'm seriously considering supporting this community to practice using my radio. My only concern is that I have invested in the Radio and an XHover Quad Copter but no Flightgear add-ons support the Quad-Copter! (Its the latest and greatest R/C apparently, I went RC Plane searching first, but these XHover racing Quads are rediculous...) I would really like to see some feedback to this post, regarding the possible development, or future plans to include this model in the simulator.

Regards!

The idea is very good, what stage is it at?
Last edited by HinaHopper on Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
HinaHopper

Postby Johan G » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:11 am

5 years later? Probably forgotten, even if not abandoned early on.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Return to Development