Board index FlightGear Development

Question about editing NavAids

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Question about editing NavAids

Postby mrshr3d » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:11 am

Hello,

I hope I am posting this to the correct area, feel that it didn't really fall into the Support (Troubleshooting) area.

I am tinkering with the nav.dat.gz file, and have managed to successfully add a VOR-DME that was missing quite easily. However, I am struggling to add an NDB-DME. I can successfully add the NDB part of it, but I cannot get the DME part with frequency to show on the map.

The explanation re the format of nav.dat (http://data.x-plane.com/file_specs/XP%2 ... 20Spec.pdf) says to use ID 13:

"13 Stand-alone DME, or the DME component of an NDB-DME Frequency will displayed on X-Plane’s charts"

So the line I added was:
13 -15.44641558 145.18775001 26 11170 80 0.0 CKN COOKTOWN NDB-DME

I thought to look at an existing example of this, and tested starting at COOMA (YCOM) airport, which has the following line:
13 -36.35430600 148.95769400 3117 11400 75 0.0 COM COOMA NDB-DME

But again, does not show the icon or the frequency on the Map. (Wondering if Flightgear does not implement this feature as described in the X-Plane nav.dat document?)

Interestingly, it does show the icon on the Map (Canvas) in 3.2, but that doesn't show any frequencies (presume it will in the future?).

Cheers
Clint
mrshr3d

Return to Development