Board index FlightGear Development

Unified tracker, map and ATC planning site?  Topic is solved

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Unified tracker, map and ATC planning site?

Postby elgaton » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:34 am

Hi everyone,
I was thinking a bit about the various FlightGear tracking/ATC websites (MPMap, Lenny's website, the FG Tracker & Planner, the OpenRadar flightplan exchange server and the Multiplayer server status page). I personally find it a bit inefficient to jump between three/four sites to know which airports are controlled on a given day, check if there's any traffic, plan the route and file my flightplan.

Would it be a good idea to unify these services in a single website (I'm thinking about something like vataware for VATSIM)? This, in my opinion, would:
  • enable players to see everything at a glance;
  • unify the different tracker interfaces (the big differences between mptracker12 and the FG Tracker & Planner come to mind);
  • allow controllers to check if any pilots are coming to their airport without jumping back and forth between the map and the flight planning tool;
  • enable virtual airlines (via an API endpoint) to get real time information about their flights (right now only Lenny's website offers such a functionality).

Any comments?
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Re: Unified tracker, map and ATC planning site?

Postby onox » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:14 pm

Sounds like a great idea. Is it going to use a web application framework like Django for example and open source (minus any passwords of course)?
onox
Retired

Postby elgaton » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:28 pm

I'm more biased towards Yii, but yes, that's the plan (I'd just like to collect some feedback first, especially from the maintainers of the tools I mentioned - also, I'm currently working on the route/OpenRadar files for the Festival of FlightGear, so I won't be able to start this project soon).
elgaton

Postby Johan G » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:08 pm

You could get in contact with them quicker if you knew who to contact. :wink:

There already seem to be some work going on with the intention to integrate the flight plan handling of OpenRadar and Lenny's web site.

Nice to see that Yii is open source (a so called "Modified BSD license"). :)
Last edited by Johan G on Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby onox » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:23 pm

elgaton wrote in Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:28 pm:I'm more biased towards Yii, but yes, that's the plan (I'd just like to collect some feedback first, especially from the maintainers of the tools I mentioned - also, I'm currently working on the route/OpenRadar files for the Festival of FlightGear, so I won't be able to start this project soon).

If some people want to work on this project and want to use Yii, that's fine too. Do you also know about things like purecss.io and getbootstrap.com? (There are probably tons of other components that you can use) Using as much standard components as possible might save you much time and work.
onox
Retired

Postby elgaton » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:52 pm

I know Bootstrap quite well (there's even an extension to integrate it in Yii). I'll contact the authors via MP, as suggested. Thanks!
elgaton

Return to Development