Board index FlightGear Development

Suggestion: Removing Multiplayer "Hello" Logins

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Suggestion: Removing Multiplayer "Hello" Logins

Postby HJ1AN » Sat May 03, 2014 4:26 pm

Just came back from an MP session where I mostly stayed out of the way of the KSFO, and just when I am going nearby the KSFO and making a report of my intentions (passing through), ATC kept asking me to stop spamming. I was like huh, "I'm not spamming? "

Then i figured out that it must be my crappy internet. I must have been connecting and disconnecting intermittently, and the result of that (though I don't see it) must have spammed a billion or so "Hello"s onto the screen. Tell me if my theory is right... if so...

then my suggestion is to just drop the "Hellos".... or put it somewhere else not on the clogging up the chat channel. I mean, ATC could already see everyone (I think?) and we could always use the browser mp map anyway to tell if friends are online, right? So the "Hello"s are redundant, unless there is a specific reason they are there.

I suggest we do away with this feature, and I suspect it to be relatively easy modification to just remove it. This keeps the chat less crowded, and keeps poor me and others like me with crap connections from accidentally spamming the screen :?

my 2 cents
HJ1AN

Callsign: HJ888
Version: 3.4

Re: Suggestion: Removing Multiplayer "Hello" Logins

Postby AndersG » Sun May 04, 2014 1:41 pm

Try initializing /sim/multiplay/chat to the empty string.
E.g. with --prop:string:/sim/multiplay/chat='' (you might need to escape the ':s, though).

However, it won't help if your MP connection is reconnected at run time after you have sent something because then your last message will be repeated for all each time. It might be a good idea to update the chat code to reset the chat property to the empty string some seconds after a message was sent to avoid this problem.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby HJ1AN » Mon May 05, 2014 3:20 am

AndersG wrote in Sun May 04, 2014 1:41 pm:However, it won't help if your MP connection is reconnected at run time after you have sent something because then your last message will be repeated for all each time. It might be a good idea to update the chat code to reset the chat property to the empty string some seconds after a message was sent to avoid this problem.

That must be it. Then the problem is worse than I thought! Thanks for the tips
HJ1AN

Postby AndersG » Mon May 05, 2014 7:51 pm

What you can do, however, is to enable the debug extensions (specifically the type '/' to set properties) and manually set the chat property to the empty string after each message you send. Not very convenient, although once you have entered /sim/multiplay/chat=(enter) you can get the command back by just typing / and the up arrow key.

/Anders
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Postby someguy » Mon May 05, 2014 9:11 pm

The string is stored in an editable config file. Unfortunately, I don't remember which one. Someone will refresh my memory, I'm sure.
someguy

Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Philosopher » Mon May 05, 2014 9:23 pm

Looking at the code briefly I don't see how one could receive the same message twice...

Anyhow, it looks like the login message is about line 793 of $FG_ROOT/preferences.xml, where it says this:
Code: Select all
      <multiplay preserve="y">
         <chat type="string" preserve="y">Hello</chat>

Setting it to be blank should disable it AFAICT
Thanks,
Philosopher
(inactive but lurking occasionally...)
Philosopher

Callsign: AFTI
Version: Git

Postby AndersG » Tue May 06, 2014 8:36 pm

At the multiplayer level the initial value of chat is no different from later messages so once one message has been sent chat would be non-empty again. But you are right that the check_messages code in multiplayer.nas shouldn't display the same message twice unless something unexpected happens. A disconnect would not appear to be that - I couldn't find any code clearing the entry in lastmsg so that should be ok.

One thing to check: is the message really exactly the same - else it would be displayed repeatedly.
AndersG

Postby HJ1AN » Fri May 09, 2014 12:36 pm

I have no idea if it was repeating, or some phantom message or whatever. The atc was repeatedly asking me to stop spamming, very specific.. my call sign. On my side, looked fine. I was just confused. Since I was having connection problems, I just thought that might be it. My final msg was that my connection might have to do with it, then I signed off.
HJ1AN

Postby AndersG » Sat May 10, 2014 11:32 am

Yes, I don't doubt your report. The investigation/check I mentioned above needs to be done on the receiving side - if the chat property value doesn't come through unchanged it would fool the chat display code to display the message each time it was perceived to have changed. However, if you reset the chat property to the empty string ('') after sending a message I think you would prevent triggering the bug on the receiver side.
AndersG

Postby HJ1AN » Sun May 11, 2014 3:38 am

OK, doing that. Thank you.
HJ1AN

Postby HJ1AN » Thu May 29, 2014 3:29 pm

Welp, it's happened again. Pretty sure it's not the hellos this time. Most likely happening only to me, as I haven't seen anyone else spam the chat that way. Anyway just a FYI
HJ1AN

Postby Jabberwocky » Thu May 29, 2014 4:23 pm

@HJ1AN:
When I'm done with the long flight (Friday night my time), I have to play around with the 747-8f anyway. If we can figure out flight time and area, I can just fly around in your vicinity and play the "receiving" part to see, what comes up.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby HJ1AN » Fri May 30, 2014 4:25 am

Jabberwocky wrote in Thu May 29, 2014 4:23 pm:@HJ1AN:
When I'm done with the long flight (Friday night my time), I have to play around with the 747-8f anyway. If we can figure out flight time and area, I can just fly around in your vicinity and play the "receiving" part to see, what comes up.

I will PM you, my time for FG is quite limited, 2hrs at most unless its Wednedays I would probably have a bit more time.

If we do meet up remember to take a screenshot of how the spam looks like. The last incident happened when my connection was actually pretty good, and I thought all was well, then when it happened, I found out the connection started dropping and lagging after that. So it's definitely with connection.

Also, if anybody had taken a screenshot of it, do please upload it , and apologies for looking like spamming.
HJ1AN

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat May 31, 2014 3:52 am

Just not Sat 7th of June, otherwise I'm quite open timewise.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Return to Development