Board index FlightGear Development

(FOA)Flightgear on Android (1.0)

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

(FOA)Flightgear on Android (1.0)

Postby spitfirebruce21 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:01 am

Code: Select all
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
 *The FOA team is not responsible for bricked or destroyed devices, dead SD cards,thermonuclear war,
 *or you getting fired because some other app like the alarm clock not working, Please do
 *some research if you have any concerns about the features included in this APP/PORT
 *installing it....
 *YOU are choosing to make these modifications/app install, and if you
 *point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

HUGE NEWS

A new developer has achieved a way to run Flightgear on Android phones.
The project codename will be FOA
He has done allot of Android and C++ coding.
His phone was a Samsung Galaxy SII GT-I9100 and now is a Samsung Galaxy Nexus (eg a Google Galaxy Nexus) and was running Android 4.04 (Custom ROM but stock ROM should be OK) and reply to this thread if your happy to test an alpha and maybe a beta on your device.

TECHNICAL INFO.
It should have at least a 1GHz processor and decent graphics chip.Android 2.3 is a must but a rooted device is not needed but can improve performance.
Not much in this post, as we haven't finished it to a release yet.
He tested it on a bluetooth keyboard and a wired one through usb host mode.
More info to come shortly and screen-shots. Hope your interested.

I decided I better make a statement about ETA's before the whole forum goes crazy and chases me with pitchforks:P .
FOA does not have ETAs. Everyone involved is a volunteer and can only dedicate as much time as their busy lives can allow. Because of this some days lots get done and some days little gets done.

We are Semi-serious about the disclaimer. Although some of it is just exaggerated, but we are serious in a lot of it!

If you need to contact us, just PM me for normal questions and BlueSnowMan for development questions about this sub project.

The text below is from page 3:

Hello once again, we did say something was going to happen today! Here it is!!!

ALPHA 1.1

PLEASE NO TROLLS

How to get it:
Fill out this Google Docs form to express your interest in the project, we will get back to you with the files ect that you will need!
From the team at FOA we would like to thank Blusnowman for his amazing efforts and dedication to this project, Its his birthday today, he chose this day to release it!
The gitorious will be up this weekend.

FOA!
We hope you are enjoying news of this project!

Lachlan & BlueSnowMan and Sebasgokart.
Last edited by spitfirebruce21 on Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:00 am, edited 14 times in total.
Projects: YMBD, YJST
Horizon Flightgear Hangar!
Flightgear On Android
I may have a house on the ground, but my Home is in the sky.
spitfirebruce21

Callsign: ADL-FTW
Version: 2.6

Re: Flightgear on Android

Postby islandmonkey » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:16 am

O la la, I hope it's good.
islandmonkey

Callsign: G-MNKY
Version: 2018.3

Postby spitfirebruce21 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:34 am

Personnaly, i havent seen it, but it sounds amazing!

Every scenery and aircraft works, providIng you have the space!

I belive BlueSnowMan will have a git up soon.

I will begin a pole on areas that should be inlcuded in the base, we will start with however, and narrow it to a small number. Fell free to post suggestions of Flightgear good scenery, i say LOWI & TNCM areas would be great? Also London's area with statto's custom (and Lowi's custom)

Lachlan.
Ps. This time me and brin wont close dev unless we have a decent reason, not lack of support!
Flightgear On Android
spitfirebruce21

Postby Hooray » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:49 pm

Android support should be easier to implement than Playstation, Nintendo Wii, IPhone and all the other platforms that people keep asking about - simply, because Android is basically a downstripped Linux version, so compiling/building FG would certainly be possible. However, running would still be "interesting", there are MANY potential issues here, even on a "full" Linux-System like Android: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6534 ... or-wiibrew
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Thindog » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:04 am

Is there any way to download the program in some sort of a zipfile so I can download it on my PC and then transfer it to my Android? The reason I ask is that doing it that way would save costs as we have a wierd set up in South Africa where it is cheaper to get things downloaded from the internet on a PC then on a phone.
Thindog

Postby spitfirebruce21 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:35 am

We'll look into that!
Flightgear On Android
spitfirebruce21

Postby Figaro » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:50 am

This makes me so happy as I'm upgradding my horrible little LG Optimus (3 years old) for a Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus :D So I'll have the latest Android (Ice Cream Sandwich - I really like the names they make for the releases)

Anyway, sounds really promising.

Cheers,
Sam.
Figaro

Callsign: 4L-FIG

Postby islandmonkey » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:06 pm

I hope I'll attract more users.
islandmonkey

Callsign: G-MNKY
Version: 2018.3

Postby Hooray » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:18 pm

Cross-compiling FlightGear for Android devices is not that problematic. However, running FlightGear on an Android device, requires a fair share of customizations, i.e. a downstripped base package, and custom aircraft modifications (key bindings, mouse vs. touch screen support etc). Also, many FlightGear defaults would be unnecessarily high and would not work "as is", these could be reduced (scenery complexity, shaders, rendering settings).

It might even be an option to come up with a custom scenery build for Android devices, specifically aimed at low resource usage - i.e. just the KSFO region, and some basic aircraft, which can be easily adapted for non-PC devices, such as the ufo.

This doesn't just apply to scenery and aircraft, the a custom FG package for Android could probably just as well need its own custom set of GUI dialogs, because most of the default dialogs are not intended to work on small screens - just try running FG with low settings, i.e. 800x600 or even 640x480, and you'll see for yourself that there are many issues here.
Many of these issues also affect other devices, like netbooks for example - so it would be great to come up with a solution here.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby spitfirebruce21 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:26 am

A few shots! feedback?

Edit (Forgott this :) :
Last edited by spitfirebruce21 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flightgear On Android
spitfirebruce21

Postby blusnowman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:19 am

Code: Select all
#include <Introduction.h>

Hello Everyone

It's Me BLUSNOWMAN
I'm the Dev not publicity guy
as spitfirebruce21 mentioned I'm the developer for the FlightGearONAndroid project.
I would love some extra helper(I can do it on my own just takes more time to test and debug.)

Now Send me your Device models and the info supplied below.
Copy and paste this table filling in the sections
Answer to the best of your knowledge please and PM me if you have a question.

Device Name:
Rooted(Yes/No) :
Stock Rom/Custom Rom(Yes/No) :
Custom Kernal (Yes/No) :
Other Modifications :
FASTBOOT(Yes/No) :
Other details(be descriptive please) :
Knowledge of Android Modifications (if you don't have much experience then i'll still help but you might have to wait a second) :
Agree to disclaimer (You must agree to this to be part of this project) :

BLUSNOWMAN (BRIN)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I Love C++
I'm the Developer of FOA but not the publicity guy (for that spitfirebruce21 ) but I don't mind PM's
SAMSUNG Galaxy S II GT-i9100
Hope to see you flying with me on your own Androids
FOA Developer
C++ Programmer
I Love Android
blusnowman

Version: FOA 2.6

Postby EDDM08R » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:39 pm

Hello,
nice developement, maybe it could help making FG more popular :)
I have a question: Is a version for Samsung Bada OS planned?
The Hero-Phones Wave and Wave 2 have a single core 1GHz Cpu, Wave 3 has a 1.4 GHz Cpu...
Problem is the RAM, which is sometimes full, so I have to restart my phone...

Bye for now
Captain Plagiat
MAS - Munich Aviation Spotter
Visit and Like - Thanks :)
EDDM08R

Callsign: PLAGIAT
Version: 2016.1

Postby spitfirebruce21 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:13 am

BADA DEVICE OWNERS READ THIS

(IGNORE THIS-Sorry Dead Link:https://platform.kik.com/content/files/aa4726c0-044f-423a-9ea5-e555e5c06a97?k=f4aaff3a678b855a8a039cc2e81c75c388f1085e)
REAL ONE https://docs.google.com/open?id=1OS692Dl3Zgw_nFvEHX_uWQm0KgJz2LA5gtJCyGjAOdVrjylCH1Ycyp2cE53a
Flightgear On Android
spitfirebruce21

Re: (FOA)Flightgear on Android

Postby Thindog » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:39 pm

Hooray I was thinking the same thing, as memory space is limited on an Android, I was thinking that perhaps there should be a basic landform with a detuned visual scenery just showing mountain ranges, savanah, forest and desert, basicaly like a semi 3d world map. then downloads of airports for continents ie Africa divided by three with ten airports per sector. The reason I suggest this is because lets face it most people like to fly in specific areas ie Africa or North America etc. Lets face it are we flying or looking at scenery? the average android screen, while a lot bigger then a cell phone is still not a desktop. Personaly I only want to fly and scenery is secondary, besides having some auto generated mountains and hills around would suffice for low and slow, just suggestions mind you, probably impractical as I dont know enough about the program and I am just talking off the top of my head. At the end of the day this idea will send Flightgear where FS never really went. :P
Thindog

Re: (FOA)Flightgear on Android

Postby Hooray » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:48 pm

yes, it's worth pointing out that even the X-Plane "IPhone App" is a significantly customized and down-stripped version of the original program and of the original data sets (scenery and aircraft-wise).
While it would be trivial to come up with custom GUI dialogs and simple aircraft like the ufo, creating custom scenery tiles using TerraGear is a little more involved.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Next

Return to Development