Board index FlightGear Development

Blender 2.6 AC3D Importer & Exporter

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Re: Blender 2.6 AC3D Importer & Exporter

Postby kuifje09 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:58 pm

Hello Necolatis,

well, I must have been really stupid this time. Did not make a copy of the original file, Because I was in a hurry.
All I know is, there is some test against the OS it runs on, and obviously wine tells something not expected in the python script.
It has to do with the capital-letters or not.... ( windows or unix difference I think )
I searched for what I changed but cannot get it back.. realy sorry for that.
All I know, since last updates of blender, I am stuck in exporting to ac, but via the waveform format, obj, it works fine for me.
Silly thing, sometimes when doing a reexport-import-acexport, the names of the parts change, and you have to check the xml file.
But thats a minor issue, even no issue to me.

The new method as explaned for the textures blows my head.... but I realy don't mind for I have a good alternative.

EDIT: did a check against the new version of the importer, but they are too different.
kuifje09

Postby arb65912 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:58 am

Hello Nicolas and all friends!

I just downloaded newest version of the xporter 2.10 and I am testing it.

I am not sure if I understand what some options mean.

Could you please explain what these options mean.

Only Render Layers, Selection Only are quite self explanatory but others not.

Please explain the ones below

- Merge Materials
- Mirror col as Emis
- Mirror col as Amb
- Export lines also

Thank you.
arb65912

Postby Necolatis » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:41 am

- Merge Materials

If this is checked, materials that have the same values (like diff, spec, amb, etc..) will be merged into 1 in the AC file.
Remember that in AC3D, materials is not tied to the texture, like in Blender, so this can be done.

- Mirror col as Emis

In blender emissive is only a greytone (emit), so if you want a specific emissive color, you can check this option, and then Blenders mirror color will be used for that instead.

- Mirror col as Amb

Same as above, just for ambient. Dont check both these options at once, select 1 only or none.

- Export lines also

In Blender you can have edges without faces. Bezier curves etc.. Check this option if you want that exported also. Beware that this will make the exporting go a bit slower.
"Airplane travel is nature's way of making you look like your passport photo."
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Callsign: Leto
IRC name: Neco
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby arb65912 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:56 am

Thank you so very much, Nicolas( I know this is not your real name but I hope you will forgive me the alteration).

Your reply was instantaneous and just what I needed.

I have another question and I promise it to be the last one at least for some time.

In importer, what Auto smooth means? I have read the description that shows up when you slide the cursor over but I do not understand it.

Sorry for taking so much of your time.

And excellent job on the latest exporter!!!!

Thank you tons!
arb65912

Postby Necolatis » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:56 am

It means that AC3D crease angle is converted to Blender mesh auto smooth angle (its the same thing anyway). I cannot imagine why anyone would ever turn that off, I have considered removing that option, since the importer is less compliant when you turn it off.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby arb65912 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:30 am

Thank you very much, Nicolas. All clear now! :-)
arb65912

Postby fsagan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:29 am

I have downloaded the plugin from GitHub (NikolaiVChr) and tried to install it using Blender 2.78. In Blender, I click the plugin zip file to install, but the script does not appear in the plugin list after this. The plugin does get properly installed on my local Windows system - Blender folder. I'm trying to cover the ASK-13 to obj format, which was mentioned before. But maybe the plugin does not work with Blender 2.78? Any ideas? Thanks.
fsagan

Postby Necolatis » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:47 am

I think the zip is not formatted for adding it that way.

You should copy the content of the zip it into the correct folder instead. The readme should tell you how.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby fsagan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:26 am

Yes - did follow readme steps. I tried it both ways -- zip file and also loading the four individual .py script files. I also made sure that the folder (and files) got installed in the Blender scripts folder. Folder+files are there. When I go into the Blender User Preferences to enable it, there is no item named "Import-Export: AC3D (.ac)" anything. Going back the install attempt -- when I do load the script files, I do get the Blender log string that says "Modules installed from ..." and all looks good there.
fsagan

Postby Necolatis » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:37 am

Firstly, make sure you restart Blender after copying the files into the correct folder. Or click the refresh button in preferences.
Secondly to be able to help, please tell what system you are on (is it windows?), and tell which folder you moved the files into (the whole path, but you can obscure your username if you want).
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby fsagan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:59 am

I am running Windows 7. I also did restart and tried 'refresh'.

First, I copied the files here:

C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\io_scene_ac3d\
having four files:
__init__.py
AC3D.py
export_ac3d.py
import_ac3d.py

When I restarted Blender, the scripts did not show up in the Add-ons area. Also, there's nothing in the File | Import/Export (because they were not found for me to enabled).

I also installed them individually from inside Blender (File | User Preferences | Add-ons tab | Install from file). This ended up putting the four files in the local "Roaming", i.e. this path:

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\
fsagan

Postby Necolatis » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:18 am

fsagan wrote in Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:59 am:C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\io_scene_ac3d\

Ah, this is not the best way I think.

fsagan wrote in Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:59 am:C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\

This sounds more correct. Except they should bot be inside this folder, but a subfolder:

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\io_scene_ac3d
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby fsagan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:31 am

When adding a script (single file) from inside Blender | User Preferences | Add-ons, it does not know to create the folder "io_scene_ac3d". So it just puts them in the folder

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\.

But, I did also copied the complete folder into the Roaming folder

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\io_scene_ac3d

It does not make any difference. It is not showing up. So know I have tried all three ways there. I also installed from a zip file.

Do know know if the scripts have been tested with Blender 2.78? Specifically, I am running 2.78a.

I have installed other scripts and used them successfully, so I'm not inclined to think that it is user error. Also, Blender is not squawking back with some error message.
fsagan

Postby Necolatis » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:35 am

After you have copied the 4 files into C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\io_scene_ac3d

You should delete all the other installation attempts you have done I think, so they dont interfere.

As for your blender version, I will have to test that out, will report back when I have done.
— Al Gore
Necolatis

Postby fsagan » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:03 am

Thanks here. I deleted the other cases. It has not made a difference on restart.
fsagan

PreviousNext

Return to Development