Board index FlightGear Development

Blender 2.6 AC3D Importer & Exporter

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Re: Blender 2.6 AC3D importer

Postby helijah » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:31 pm

Yes. In fact I have make a little .sh file placed in /usr/local/bin

gitu.sh
Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash

git pull origin master

I have many :)
gitu.sh = git pull origin master
gitusrc.sh = git pull origin next
gitr.sh = git reset
gitc.sh = git push git@gitorious.org:fg/fgdata.git (he he of course I have pass word :) )
Some planes (and other) for FlightGear
http://helijah.free.fr
and
http://embaranger.free.fr
helijah

Callsign: helijah
IRC name: helijah
Version: GIT

Postby majic79 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:42 pm

Could you compare your local copy of the file __init__.py against the one on the github website - I've had a look at it and it shows that line 152 does not have the line: import_ac3d.read

So there must be some difference in the version

I'll check it against my version when I get home
majic79

Callsign: majic79
Version: 2_4_0

Postby majic79 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:38 pm

ok, I just opened up my terminal and cloned the repo with:
~/temp$ git clone git://github.com/majic79/Blender-AC3D

and that brought the most up to date version down

I then did a pull on it:

~/temp$ git pull origin master
From git://github.com/majic79/Blender-AC3D
 * branch            master     -> FETCH_HEAD
Already up-to-date.

Can you repeat the pull in a terminal and report the feedback here? Can you also run a "git status" in a terminal and report the output here?
majic79

Postby dvanmosselbeen » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:33 pm

Hi majic79,
Thanks to another post: new video for making an airliner in blender (For newbies) i found maybe some interesting free ebook: Programming Add-ons for Blender 2.5. I have no idea if the content is useful for what you are doing atm.

Kind regards,
Itchi
Proud to work on Belgian sceneries: https://github.com/dvanmosselbeen and the Rans S-6S aircraft: https://github.com/dvanmosselbeen/Rans-S-6S
dvanmosselbeen

Callsign: B-ITCH
IRC name: dvanmosselbeen
Version: git

Postby helijah » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:40 am

majic79 wrote in Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:38 pm:Can you repeat the pull in a terminal and report the feedback here? Can you also run a "git status" in a terminal and report the output here?

[helijah@localhost Blender-AC3D (master)]$ git status
# On branch master
# Your branch is ahead of 'origin/master' by 23 commits.
#
nothing to commit (working directory clean)

Regards. Emmanuel
and
helijah

Postby majic79 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:00 am

What are the outputs of "git branch"

I'm a little surprised by that output (I'm not a git expert, I'm relatively new to it, I'm used to slightly older single-lock type SCM applications) it suggests that it's not at the right point, i.e. it's out of sync

You could try "git reset --hard HEAD" to bring it back in sync.

EDIT: Or it might be better to completely remove the cloned repository and re-clone it
majic79

Postby helijah » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:26 pm

Hey majic79

OK thank you to you :)

After a "git reset - hard HEAD" I received a different version that work much better. My cloning was not good :( Sorry.

The import works really well. For cons to export, some objects are placed at the center :( And some are not turn :(

Example with my last work (in progress)
In Blender :

And after export in osgviewer :

wings, wheels, elevator and propeller's bowl are centered and direction have not a good position :(

If you want try this is the .blend http://helijah.free.fr/blender/mb5.blend

Regards. Emmanuel
and
helijah

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:42 pm

I have to admit that I have gone through a rather torturous double import export route for getting my models out of MetasequoiaLE2.1 and into AC3D using an older version of Blender that works with an obscure 2006ish era Python script that does an import/export of Metasequoia files to .ac files with their proper mapping and parent-object hierarchy. I've found no other quick route for Meta to .ac files yet.

I'm a little bit leery of having another install of Blender on my machine as the old 2.41 version I use is trouble free enough, and I rarely use it for anything except file conversion. So I'm curious, has this new version of Blender acquired a GUI that's more like Meta's? Blender has always confounded me with it's mishmash of tiny, and hard to understand pathways, operation menus and tool selection submenus. I understand it well enough to use the import-export routines, but I'm hoping it's become more friendly to us more artistic, mouse functional, 3D sub-literates.

Does anyone feel like crafting a Meta importer/exporter python that works like my old MQO2AC script does, but has the newer bump mapping and specular .xml. export?
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby Mossie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:54 pm

Emmanuel - I suspect it is to do with the objects having centres at 0,0,0 rather then thier model position.

I've seen this with other imports to other tools.
Regards, Gerry "Mossie" Mos
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mossie 3D CAD, "Prompt and Precise"
http://mossie3dcad.com/

http://ww1-aircraft.info/
Mossie

Postby D-PH » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:56 pm

LesterBoffo wrote in Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:42 pm: I'm a little bit leery of having another install of Blender on my machine as the old 2.41 version I use is trouble free enough, and I rarely use it for anything except file conversion. So I'm curious, has this new version of Blender acquired a GUI that's more like Meta's?

Hi Emmanuel,

The GUI has very much improved, indeed. You should give it a try and install it to a new directory to test it. I have been definitely happy about the changes between 2.4 and 2.59/2.6 versions. Stability has improved a lot from 2.59 to 2.6 as well.
As to a comparison to Meta - I don't know Meta, so, don't know :)
D-PH

Callsign: D-PH
Version: 120105

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:55 pm

Well that's Metasequoia Learning Edition 2.1, which I've been using since 2001. I'd say that it's dated somewhat, but the GUI is intuitive and I've developed a very efficient workflow using it. Oddly enough the only Blender/Python .mqo, ( Metasequoia's native file.) importer-exporter I've found that keeps the mapping and the object hierarchy, is also the oldest and the smallest in kilobyte size.

I've had my fill of "export aborted, check console" warnings with the newer Pythons. Where the hell is the 'console'? It's no consolation to me.

As far as 3D programs, I'm used to Metasequoia's use of the mouse for view panel panning, zooming, and object selection, movement, scaling, and rotation within the 3D window, and I've tried a half dozen other 3D programs over the years. Blender's GUI has been confusing, and IMHO, too much relied upon hotkeys and tiny little tool menus with cryptic descriptions of the functions. For the other 3D programs I'm much more comfortable with AC3D, well for that matter even TrueSpace 7.6 is a darn sight easier.
LesterBoffo

Postby helijah » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:23 am

LesterBoffo wrote in Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:55 pm:Well that's Metasequoia Learning Edition 2.1, which I've been using since 2001. I'd say that it's dated somewhat, but the GUI is intuitive and I've developed a very efficient workflow using it. Oddly enough the only Blender/Python .mqo, ( Metasequoia's native file.) importer-exporter I've found that keeps the mapping and the object hierarchy, is also the oldest and the smallest in kilobyte size.

I've had my fill of "export aborted, check console" warnings with the newer Pythons. Where the hell is the 'console'? It's no consolation to me.

As far as 3D programs, I'm used to Metasequoia's use of the mouse for view panel panning, zooming, and object selection, movement, scaling, and rotation within the 3D window, and I've tried a half dozen other 3D programs over the years. Blender's GUI has been confusing, and IMHO, too much relied upon hotkeys and tiny little tool menus with cryptic descriptions of the functions. For the other 3D programs I'm much more comfortable with AC3D, well for that matter even TrueSpace 7.6 is a darn sight easier.

Blender's interface is not designed to make life easier for amateurs but simply optimized for the flow graph. Thus, at the beginning it always surprises, but over time he became the most powerful of all :)

I need only 1 day 1 / 2 to make a airplane (modeling, animation, FDM) no other 3D software allows me to go as fast.

Regards Emmanuel
and
helijah

Postby majic79 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:59 am

I'll download that .blend file and figure out why it's not exporting it correctly tonight - glad it's starting to work the way it should have!

Chris
majic79

Postby LesterBoffo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:03 pm

helijah wrote in Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:23 am:
LesterBoffo wrote in Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:55 pm:Well that's Metasequoia Learning Edition 2.1, which I've been using since 2001. I'd say that it's dated somewhat, but the GUI is intuitive and I've developed a very efficient workflow using it. Oddly enough the only Blender/Python .mqo, ( Metasequoia's native file.) importer-exporter I've found that keeps the mapping and the object hierarchy, is also the oldest and the smallest in kilobyte size.

Blender's interface is not designed to make life easier for amateurs but simply optimized for the flow graph. Thus, at the beginning it always surprises, but over time he became the most powerful of all :)

I need only 1 day 1 / 2 to make a airplane (modeling, animation, FDM) no other 3D software allows me to go as fast.

Regards Emmanuel

You know Emmaneul you could have used a bit more tact in describing Blender's use, I've been building aircraft with MetaLE2.1 for 10 years now, fast doesn't equal quality. Just saying.
LesterBoffo

Postby majic79 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:49 pm

Maybe the place to discuss the merits of other software is better placed in another thread? Blender is open source and free, and as this is an open source and free flightsim, I think it's quite apt that the two contribute to each other. I wanted the ability to manipulate 3D models and several independant reviews placed Blender near the top of the pile of modelling applications. It missed the ability to import/export .ac format files, and it's something that I can bring to it.
majic79

PreviousNext

Return to Development