Board index FlightGear Development

Outerra Engine

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Should we switch our engine to Outerra?

Yay
53%
Nay
47%

Total votes : 49

Re: Outerra Engine

Postby jonsberndt » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:10 am

jack wrote in Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:04 pm:I was unaware that this engine would not be GPL. I had thought that since they were using JSBsim code, it would have to be GPL. :roll: Still is fun to dream, though. :wink:

JSBSim is LGPL. They will be able to use it as a DLL - which is their current plan.

Jon
Jon S. Berndt
Development Coordinator
JSBSim Project
http://www.JSBSim.org
http://www.facebook.com/jsbsim
jonsberndt

Postby Quadunit404 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:34 am

HHS wrote in Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:58 am:
Quadunit404 wrote:X-Plane also uses OSG, although that might be due to the lack of Outerra's existence beyond concepts. I'd say stick with OSG for now as it's more prominent in the world of flight simulation and actually exists right now

WRONG!

X-Plane uses OpenGL, not OSG! Never ever! OSG (http://www.OpenSceneGraph.com) is graphic library which makes uses of OpenGL

:?: Every X-Plane/FlightGear comparison I've seen have stated that both use OSG for scenery.
Quadunit404

Postby cameni » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:25 am

Hi guys, I'm from Outerra - I just want to correct and explain some things.

HHS wrote in Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:58 am:Behind that project are people who developed the IL-2 simulator and as I heard even the BlackShark-simulator. Both a more or less closed games, (but very, very realistic games!)

These projects (and people) have nothing in common with Outerra. In fact we are not even flight simmers ourselves, though we've got some background in development of professional flight sims, however weird that may look.
We aren't flight sim fanatics, but we are terrain rendering and world generating fanatics, and that probably explains how Outerra looks and what are the priorities.

jonsberndt wrote in Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:10 am:
jack wrote in Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:04 pm:I was unaware that this engine would not be GPL. I had thought that since they were using JSBsim code, it would have to be GPL. :roll: Still is fun to dream, though. :wink:

JSBSim is LGPL. They will be able to use it as a DLL - which is their current plan.
Jon

Right. The thing is, we used JSBSim mainly to show integration capabilities of the engine for use in simulators. Otherwise it's an independent module, and we are going to enhance its interconnection with the engine so that perspective sim projects may use the library along with it. If we are going to use it in our game(s), it's to give the taste of the environment to sim people as well - instead of doing something with arcade controls only.

-Brano
cameni

Postby HHS » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:33 pm

Quadunit404 wrote in Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:34 am: :?: Every X-Plane/FlightGear comparison I've seen have stated that both use OSG for scenery.

Can you give a link?
Even Google doesn't tell me this.

Well,

I was a bit harsh, but just because I belong to the old users already seen a switch from one graphic library PLIB to the other now OpenSceneGraph.

The switch introduced a long discussion and some dissapointed users and talented developers which left the project. Currently we only very, very few developer using and implementing OSG-features.
OSG is currently in developement, enhancing their features, while FGFS due to lacking manpower doesn't make much use of all this....

I really like Outerra, and of course I would like to see such high quality in our sim here, but I think it is better to go on with our engine and finish it, instead to try another engine, which will lead to same problems we already had.

cameni wrote:These projects (and people) have nothing in common with Outerra. In fact we are not even flight simmers ourselves, though we've got some background in development of professional flight sims, however weird that may look.

So Here I failed myself.
In other forum talking about renderengines and outerra I heard the rumble that you are the same guys as in IL-2 and other similar games.
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Postby curt » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:22 pm

Both FlightGear and X-Plane use opengl for their underlying graphics enigne. FlightGear always has, X-Plane has for a very very long time. Perhaps that's what people meant. OSG is a scene graph layer on top of OpenGL.

Regards,

Curt.
curt
Administrator

Postby mike4lin » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:30 pm

outerra looks cool but I'm foremost looking forward to use someday sceneries alike:

http://sirx.flightsimulatorcenter.com/

with decent airports and smooth rendering etc.
mike4lin

Postby HHS » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:55 pm

:roll:
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby helijah » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:48 pm

Whatever your opinion. You made a huge mistake.

- OSG is an abstraction layer for OpenGL. It's just a library of 3D features for simplified programming.

- OUTERRA is a complete software. It is not a bookseller, but a complete application. Just as FlightGear.

In this, we will never use "OUTERRA" in FlightGear. By cons "OUTERRA" could use OSG.

This discussion is therefore no need to exist. And even without taking into account the incompatible licenses :)

Best regards. Emmanuel
Some planes (and other) for FlightGear
http://helijah.free.fr
and
http://embaranger.free.fr
helijah

Callsign: helijah
IRC name: helijah

Postby HHS » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:38 am

:lol: :lol:

The main author of Outerra had already explained his project and his plans with, and Curt had explained the difference between OSG and OpenGL - a month ago!
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby jack » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:00 am

I pointed that out in a response I made earlier today, but it appears Gijs deleted it :?: :?:

Is it just me or do we have the pickiest moderators of any forum?
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1

Postby HHS » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:14 am

So much as we all know helijah, Gijs will probably only prevent another fight/ war here. Though my answer was maybe not very "nice", I think it should be o.k. to say that this thread is more or less dead as the main questions has been answered- even by the main author of "Outerra" himself.
Last edited by HHS on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Up, up and away
HHS

Postby jack » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:32 am

Watch as there will be a "no useless quoting" edit on your post within a day. :lol:
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1

Postby SkyWlf77 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:45 am

At least we no longer have the rampant flamewars that were occurring before.

And, just for the clarification, the edits to remove useless quoting are designed to save hosting space, bandwidth and, thus, also the costs incurred by running a forum of this size. Not to mention the fact that it nicely cleans up the forum so that we're not reading the same thing multiple times for no reason at all.

-Jason
SkyWlf77

Callsign: SkyWlf77
Version: 2

Postby HHS » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:58 am

Correct and agree, but after long hard day it is hard to forget old useless behavior regarding quoting.... :oops: (Fixed it)

Back to topic: Fred is (hopefully still) working on a similar thing:

Up, up and away
HHS

Postby SkyWlf77 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:29 am

Wow, that's looking very, very nice! A significant improvement to the current terrain :)

Thanks for posting those, HHS and thanks to Fred for his amazing work!

-Jason
SkyWlf77

Callsign: SkyWlf77
Version: 2

PreviousNext

Return to Development