Board index FlightGear Development

Outerra Engine

FlightGear is opensource, so you can be the developer. In the need for help on anything? We are here to help you.
Forum rules
Core development is discussed on the official FlightGear-Devel development mailing list.

Bugs can be reported in the bug tracker.

Should we switch our engine to Outerra?

Yay
53%
Nay
47%

Total votes : 49

Re: Outerra Engine

Postby Zan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:08 am

Is there a link or something to that project of Fred's?

I guess we might get pretty similar results with fg if one generated terrain with high enough precision. Is it possible to control the amount of simplification while using terragear?

- Zan
Zan

Postby HHS » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:37 pm

No, so much as I know, Fred said one time, that there is still lot of work to do, debugging etc., and it is not yet included into FGFS locally.
No idea how far he already is.
Up, up and away
HHS

Version: GIT

Postby marco » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi folks,

perhaps we could use another approach. 3d-objects enrich the scenery very much. Best example in my opinion is the Paris-scenery with 3d-buildings all around.
Why not use "generic" 3-d objects instead of shaded textures to represent the ground. Ok I admit it would bring a heavy load for the CPU but i guess real 3-d trees would look better than a shaded texture map of a forest with some trees scattered around. Ok, modeling every blade of grass would be a lot of work, on the other hand this kind of grass could follow real physics and wave and bend in the wind .... well my imagination also flies with the wind now, but i hope i made my point clear.
Those generic objects could be placed on the surface just like the textures are placed. I bet it would make the scenery look more realistic, especially when shader effects are applied. ..... just a few thoughts.. never mind ...

greetings, Marco
marco

Version: Git

Postby Sealbhach » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 pm

Marco, regarding the trees you can edit your materials.xml to increase the tree coverage, so you can get an effect like this:

http://i.imgur.com/bEZ29.jpg

It works better when you have detailed landcover secenery, so that there are smaller forest areas rather than one vast forest. The grass waving in the wind would be lovely, but from what I've seen from being a passenger on airplanes, that sort of thing is not really noticeable from the air.

Sealbhach

Postby jack » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:55 pm

Or the grass bending down and the dirt flying up when you hover over in a helicopter... :P

Then again, having grass in general is yet to be done... :?
For Military Aircraft, Scenery, and more, visit http://alphashangar.co.nr/

'Retired' from FlightGear as of July 2011. You can contact me via my website if you'd like to pick up any old projects.
jack
Retired

Callsign: Alpha-J, Rescue1
Version: GIT

Postby marco » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:07 pm

...nonetheless I have to admit that the Outerra Engine produces really nice eye-candy. And let's be honest it's not only a great flightmodel and the advantage of having the possibility to commit our own changes that make a good flightsim. At least for me what I see is important too. Flightgear has, thanks to the many contributions of you all, very many wonderfully built 3d objects. Against those the standard ground representation cannot stand a chace.

For sure I know why. It's easier to make 3d models than trying to work on satellite pictures to get better landscapes. I've experienced that myself.
I just wonder how the guys of outerra engine do it .... What they show in their demos is just awesome. The terrain itself, the vegetation, the water, the shore ... waves washing on the shore ... it looks real.... is there any chance OSG comes near to this? Although I'm not a good coder, I'd offer my help if anyone can tell me what to do.

greetings, Marco
marco

Version: Git

Postby rsotaccs » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:56 pm

It is stunning, but most of the users wouldn't be able to use it (it MUST require an AWESOME computer).
However, the developers would need to re-program everything (like in the PLIB->OSG transition, that hasn't even been completed yet.)
Active again! Sometimes... // BRASIL
rsotaccs

Callsign: PT-RSB
IRC name: PT-RSB
Version: 111219

Postby mike4lin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:48 am

On youtube there are tons of beautiful videos. A switch would definitely catapult fgfs lightyears forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmeiXEm9hFY&feature=related
mike4lin

Postby Nick R » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:51 pm

Hangar: fgpipistrel.org
Modelling the Pipistrel Virus SW (github, website)
Nick R

Callsign: NickR
Version: 2017.2.1

Postby D-ECHO » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:15 am

That seems to be an amazing project! (Proland).
Is the BSD3-License they use compatible with our GPL? And is it possible to use it instead of OSG?
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby erik » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:52 pm

Note that it generates artificial scenery while we try to recreate reality.
Edit: Upon further inspection it seems it can do both.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby D-ECHO » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:08 pm

As a Demo terrain of proland uses srtm and some official shapefile data.... yes, it can Simulate real terrain
D-ECHO

Postby ausdkunst » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:18 pm

One good thing about proland is they have proper roads!
BULLDOG RS (The No.1 place for Flightgear automobile): https://bulldogrs.wordpress.com/
ausdkunst

Callsign: bulldog
Version: 2016.2.1

Postby D-ECHO » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:52 pm

...and better terrain :D
D-ECHO

Postby Thorsten » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:13 pm

Sure, if you use commercial-grade geodata you usually get better terrain than of you rely on GPL compatible data.

Or didn't you by chance read the statement Users are prohibited from any commercial, non-free resale, or redistribution without explicit written permission from CIAT.(...)For commercial access to the data, send requests to Andy Jarvis.
Thorsten

PreviousNext

Return to Development