Board index FlightGear Support

Installation frustrations

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Installation frustrations

Postby ShadowAce » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:12 pm

Hello all,

I am very new to FlightGear. I saw it mentioned on-line and would love to give it a try. Here's my current issue:

I am using Fedora Core 5. I have installed openal with a build date of 20060204. However when I try to install the RPM for FlightGear, it fails with a dependency issue, saying I need openal >= 20050209.

Last I checked, 20060204 IS >= 20050209. Any hints out there?

Thanks!
ShadowAce

Re: Installation frustrations

Postby dlau » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:57 pm

This might be a little late. I would suggest to use the openal rpms supplied by the download section in the flightgear website. I was able to get it to install on Fedora Core 5.

ShadowAce wrote:Hello all,

I am very new to FlightGear. I saw it mentioned on-line and would love to give it a try. Here's my current issue:

I am using Fedora Core 5. I have installed openal with a build date of 20060204. However when I try to install the RPM for FlightGear, it fails with a dependency issue, saying I need openal >= 20050209.

Last I checked, 20060204 IS >= 20050209. Any hints out there?

Thanks!
dlau

Re: Installation frustrations

Postby ShadowAce » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:18 pm

dlau wrote:This might be a little late. I would suggest to use the openal rpms supplied by the download section in the flightgear website. I was able to get it to install on Fedora Core 5.

That did it. I removed the installed version of openal and installed the one from the flightgear site. The RPM installed just fine.

However, now it fails with e freeglut error. I gotta go track that down. :(
ShadowAce

Postby dlau » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:16 pm

Check which version of freeglut you are using. I found that the pre-installed version 2.4 doesn't work so I uninstalled it and installed the older version 2.2. That should solve the problem if you are using the pre-compiled binary from the website.

If that still doesn't work, I would suggest that you go and compile the source code.
dlau

Return to Support