Board index FlightGear Support

Long-Range Flight Impossible?  Topic is solved

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Long-Range Flight Impossible?

Postby kyokoyama » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:05 am

I and other pilots have noted that some cross-continent flights are impossible due to FlightGear freezing during longrange flights, with locale recovery being impossible.
(All flights in this category intended to be 1500+nm, crashes after 2hrs or 500~1500nm of flights)
Last edited by kyokoyama on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Re: Long-Range Flight Impossible?

Postby MD-Terp » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:22 am

For someone to offer any help, you'll probably want to post a little bit more detail. Do error messages print in the console window? If so, what are they (specifically)?

As I've noted in other threads, I tend to have better luck running FlightGear over distances by disabling AI traffic and AI ATC through command-line parameters. I've flown dozens of flights over 500nm, some over 1000nm, without any trouble, as long as those functions are not engaged.
Cheers,
-Rob.

"Retired" from FlightGear involvement as of July 2010.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Callsign: N531MD, AVA0025

Postby redneck » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:02 pm

Post system specs and details as MD-Terp said above. Any extra properties you have set will help too.
Turning off the traffic manager can help sometimes. I've flown several trans-continental flights across the US in several different aircraft (at least the B-2, 733, and F-4 Phantom II). I've flown an 11-hour flight from SBGL to EGLL in the 787 (my longest flight yet). Long-range flights aren't impossible; just help us help you out.
About real weather fetch: If you can't deal with rain/snow, remember that the weather can be very different over long distances. You will want to check METAR before beginning your descent to make sure everything is clear below the clouds. Then, switch to Fair Weather if you have to.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby hovkid » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:32 pm

I have flown from KSFO to KDFW to KJFK to London Heathrow, in a Concorde (Yeah, A really long flight) Without FG crashing, however on a different attempt from KLAX to KJFK in a 777-200ER, it crashed. One thing I can reccomend, is definately avoid Fly-By view, this drops the frames on my PC, sometimes causing it to quit. Another thing, is set lower visibility, giving you better Frames Per Seccond.

Another thing you can do is watch where you are above on the MP-Map, looking for whitch major citys you pass over, if your FG crashes, revert to one of those citys' airport's.

I would also suggest not to fly into KSFO, as I have done this before, and most the time it crashed on final due to the high levels of traffic, which is really anoying :roll:
Fav Airliner - MD81 - Fav Fighter - F4J76 - Fav Light Aircraft - DHC2
hovkid

Callsign: GB-TYER or AA-124

Postby kyokoyama » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:01 pm

OK... though I crash in random places like in the middle of the ocean, rural Ireland, Starkville, Mississippi (my hometown!) etc.
And, sorry MD Terp... I guess I'm not too used to problem addressing yet...

Specs: Windows Vista SP1 64-bit on Dell Inspiron, FlightGear 1.9.1 downloaded April 2009, Intel Integrated Graphics Chip, Intel Pentium Dual Core, ~500GB HD, 2GB RAM
Console: "Uknown Exception. Aborting Loop..." at random times, as stated before.
Problem: I fly like normal,with no traffic/internet/system issues at all, then.... bam, crash without warning!

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Postby MD-Terp » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:27 pm

Well aside from starting with these three properties included:
--prop:/sim/ai-traffic/enabled=false
--prop:/sim/traffic-manager/enabled=false
--prop:/sim/atc/enabled=false

... I don't have any other advice; however, with the more details you posted, perhaps someone else will have some ideas. Thanks for giving us more to go on!
Cheers,
-Rob.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Postby Heintz Mertens » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:55 pm

Same problems here of late....massive and repeated "crashing" with no apparent cause. By "crash" I mean that the screen freezes and then FGFS exits/stops. The little black box says "Unknown exception in the main loop...aborting"

There doesn't seem to be any common denominators and it has been happening with frightening regularity the last couple weeks. All planes, all areas. It usually happens while switching views as I have managed to make a flight of 30 -40 minutes and then when I switch out of cockpit view to another view *BaM!* the 'sim stops and exits. :shock:

I changed MP servers from 5 to 1 to 2....same problem. However, when I switched to server04 I managed to fly the same areas, in the same aircraft that has previously "crashed" every 10 - 15 minutes. So, maybe it has something to do with what server we are using.

Or not. It is very annoying and right now is virtually crippling any attempts at flights longer than a few minutes. I'm running Vista X64.

Heintz
MP Callsign: Bimmel
Heintz Mertens

Postby kyokoyama » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:17 pm

All servers I use, same issue...
Also regardless of the view modes I use...

kyokoyama

Postby Heintz Mertens » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:26 am

My frame rates are throttled to 30fps and I'm pretty much pegged at that frame rate everywhere except Paris. My problem has nothing to do with frame rate. I have made flights previously from coast to coast USA and from UK to Iceland/Greenland and into Canada to US....12 or more hours. No problems. But that was weeks ago.

This issue only has manifested itself over the last couple weeks and nothing (that I know of...) has been changed in my system. What seemed to work flawlessly in December is suddenly crashing and there doesn't seem to be any common denominator that I can find yet.

Running Vista x64 on a quad cored 3 gig processor with 4 gig of RAM. NVidia 9800 GTX+ graphics with a full gig of RAM.

This problem just showed up...FGFS 1.9.1

Heintz
Heintz Mertens

Postby kyokoyama » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:40 am

Only the last couple of weeks? I've had this issue since late November/Early December! (sorry forgot to mention that, since I thought it was a minor crash back then)

kyokoyama

Postby Heintz Mertens » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:46 am

Well, there have always been small and occasional crashes of this nature but they have been few and far between until perhaps a month ago. This week it is positively stupid.... :lol:

This evening I have flown two flights over territory (using previous aircrafts) that last night caused repeated crashes/shutdown consistently. Tonight it is fine so far and I am really pushing to see it crash. I can't make it happen.

The difference between last night and tonight is that I am using MPserver04 instead of my regular 05.

Tommorow night I'll do the same flights with the same aircraft on 05 and see if the problem comes back. It's very strange. If it does come back I'm gonna try the flights without enabling MP. I have a suspicion it has something to do with Multiplayer.

Heintz
Heintz Mertens

Postby MD-Terp » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:00 am

That certainly is intriguing, if that turns out to be a true correlation and not just coincidence. I wonder if there's something in the multiplayer protocol that mishandles bad data somehow? I'll post this to the developers' list just to see if someone is interested in investigating further.
Cheers,
-Rob.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Postby grtux » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:06 pm

hello, all

Isn't it only that stupid "Cullvisitor NAN" error message ? , i don't know if it is longer randomly coming up, ( i didn't fly recently) , but last year ( two weeks ago i got it again on long trip somewhere flying over Russia. Or short trip flying around SF bay.

These repeatives error messages , makes the system overloaded, and the fps decreasing to 1 fps, or nothing with black screen.
Only on way, stop FG by killing it.

Cheers
g.robin
LFMO
grtux

Postby Heintz Mertens » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:30 pm

I did finally get the same crash last night on MPserver04. It occurred while selecting F10 menu. I had been flying along normally and thought it was fine but upon hitting F10 FG just...stopped.

Same error as always "unknown exception in the main loop. Aborting" Tonight I'll try some long distance flights while disabling MP and see if it truely has anything to do with that (or a selected server) or if this was just coincidence.
Heintz Mertens

Postby Jester » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:23 pm

Anybody seeing this on linux? Windows users can't typically provide useful debugging information. Ideally, I would like a gdb backtrace from the point where the exception is thrown (that is from before the abort)
Jester

Callsign: BA996,Rescue1
IRC name: Jester01
Version: GIT

Next

Return to Support