Board index FlightGear Support

Long-Range Flight Impossible?  Topic is solved

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Long-Range Flight Impossible?

Postby mifi » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:02 pm

Jester wrote:That is in AI traffic. We have said many times to disable it. (It is a bug, nevertheless)
EDIT: you are missing --prop:bool:/sim/ai-traffic/enabled=0

Ok. Will do, but that would make multiplayer pointless as I can no longer see any other traffic, would it not?

m
mifi

Version: git next

Postby Jester » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:05 pm

It does not affect MP. In fact, I find MP better without it. Since AI traffic is not (yet) synchronized, each pilot sees different scene and that is bad.
Jester

Callsign: BA996,Rescue1
IRC name: Jester01
Version: GIT

Postby ChocBoy » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:56 pm

Ok, I know I've said this a MILLION times, but for me, AI traffic seems to be the one problem. Just flew an AVA flight Coast-to-Coast- NO CRASHES AT ALL!
Account locked by self soon. Taking a break from FG. If you want to contact me, email me. Please don't hesitate. Anything, email.
Thank you.
ChocBoy

Callsign: ChocBoy

Postby mifi » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:14 am

I have been flying around for a couple of days with the traffic-manager and the ai-traffic disabled. It does help. Flights are mostly stable. I have had two more SEGV's, but I was not able to reproduce them.

I am a happy pilot, tho I would have loved to help in finding the bugs.

m
mifi

Postby redneck » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:15 pm

I've disabled traffic manager. I still have problems. Most flights are stable, especially if I fly the c172p or the 787. The b1900d can handle 1 hour hops as well. The problem is when I try to fly the B1900d for at least 3 hours, half the flights end in a program crash. I think there's more to it than the traffic manager. Perhaps it has something to do with being on mp, but I had to to track the flight. Anyway, it just blows my mind that I can fly 11 hours in one plane with no problems, but others seem to have a time limit.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby mifi » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:01 pm

redneck wrote: Anyway, it just blows my mind that I can fly 11 hours in one plane with no problems, but others seem to have a time limit.

Or perhaps it is related to the scenery or a combination of scenery and plane.

If you tell me the specifics of your crashing flight (airfields, airplane, waypoints if any) I will try to replicate and see what is in the stack trace.

m
mifi

Postby redneck » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:26 pm

Okay, see the topic B1900d circumnavigation. I posted all of my failed attempts at completing flights in there, along with the routes, how close I was to the airports when it happened, etc.
Call Signs: redneck, ATCredn (unspecified freq atc)
FGFSCopilot
FGFSCopilotATCEdition
System Specs
Model: Alienware M15x, OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, RAM: 3 GB, CPU: Intel i3 quad core at 2.4 GHz, GPU: Nvidea GeForce GTX 460M 1.5 GB GDDR5
redneck

Version: 240

Postby nickyivyca » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:42 am

AI traffic is not the problem for me. I have it turned off, and I still get crashes. It happens mostly around the Bay Area on MP, and on departure to LA area from KSJC. CRJ-200 and 787 have this problem, it might have happened with the 737-300 too. MD-81 was completely loop-crash free from departure to LA, and then back (re-entry to Bay Area usually is what gets me) so it could be a mysterious plane-related thing. Last night, I also tried it in the 737-100 off MP with no crash, so it's part of MP for me. Of course, I'm still running 1.9.1 (2.0 crashes before it loads on my computer :(), which could affect things.

Right now, I'm going to try heading down to KLAX in the CRJ-200 (which I put a working pushback on!) on MP. I'll post what happens.

And here's where I crashed:

Personal Fleet: 787-8, CRJ-200, 737-300, MD-81, DHC-3A, Beechcraft Starship
New hangar!
Curent projects: New 787, New CRJ-200, DC-9, New 777-200ER FDM
nickyivyca

Callsign: Nick, ---206
Version: 2

Postby mifi » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:47 am

I recompiled everything from CVS with debug flags two days ago and started some long flights with both traffic-manager and AI-traffic disabled.

Today I took off in KMIA (Miami) at 0800. At the time of writing it is 12:40, almost 5 hours later, and I am still flying in my B1900D (I cheated, I filled her up in midflight).
The fgfs process claimed 1.1GB of memory and that does not change much.

At this moment, it looks pretty stable to me.

m
mifi

Postby mifi » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:15 pm

Darn!

I know I should not have posted that last post. I crashed after more than size hours of flying.

The core file is truncated... ulimit was set too low. No backtrace today.

m
mifi

Postby kyokoyama » Fri May 20, 2011 9:59 pm

Inference from other posts and subsequent trial-and-error results showed that this problem can be solved by deselecting some of the Views through the "View" options.
(In otherwords, taking out the "Fly-By View", "Tower View" and so forth)

-However, this ultimately depends on the power of your computer, as some can handle these tedious processes better than others.

Thanks for your observation, though, Narendran.
Look for "B-BIRD" "N127KY" or "AVA0004" -that's me.

Despite having over 1700 posts here, I am not even close to being the most skilled guy here... I'm just words and bad drawing, not experience. :P
kyokoyama

Callsign: B-BIRD, N127KY
Version: 2.12.1

Postby nuno.seletti » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:07 pm

Hello everybody! I am interested in this topic, because a have sometimes not the time to flight more than 3 hours in the week. But now in holidays i have made a very long haul flight and my Flightgear 3.4.0 (the best 8) ) don't crash anymore. I have flew from LFPG to TNCM with an a340-313X! No problem happend. But i think that if i have made the same flight but from TNCM to LFPG FGFS can crash...

:D
nuno.seletti

Callsign: PI451
Version: 3.5.0

Previous

Return to Support