Board index FlightGear Support

Instrument Panel & Controls

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Instrument Panel & Controls

Postby colen35 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:17 pm

I am new to this forum and first I want to commend the people who have done all the work on flight Gear and who make it possible for us to enjoy this simulator for free. That said, I do have a complaint that I have been unable to find the answer to. This deals with the view of the instrument panel and controls. I have tried several different aircraft with the same problem in each of them. The view is not what a real world pilot would see. The panel itself is black and switches and controls cannot be identified without hovering the mouse over something and waiting for a pop-up to tell what the switch or control is supposed to be. I am using a Linux Mint system and my monitor is a 32 in UHD tv which I believe should be plenty adequate. I have just recently downloaded Flight Gear so I am using the latest version. Is there any way to magnify the view or change the color scheme to make these more readable? I would like to say that while in the Navy I was in a specialty where I had the opportunity to instruct pilots in a ground instrument trainer. However this was many years ago, and the trainers used were completely blind flying with no simulated exterior view.
colen35

Re: Instrument Panel & Controls

Postby D-ECHO » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:48 pm

Hi colen and welcome to the forum!

In order to understand your problem better, it would be very helpful if you could show one or two screenshots. You can take these in FG by pressing "F3" and then uploading them to an imaging hosting site (e.g. imgur.com or postimg.cc) and adding the direct link to the image (so ending with .png or .jpg) inside [image][/image].

It would also help a lot to know which aircraft(s) you experience this with.

Having said that, when using ALS (Atmospheric Light Scattering), you can apply filters to manipulate the brightness and contrast you see: Menu bar -> View -> ALS Filter Effects.

While not directly a solution to your problem, you can press "Ctrl + c" to have every clickable surface highlighted in yellow. (Press Ctrl + c again to turn this off).

Greetings
D-ECHO
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Re: Instrument Panel & Controls

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:50 pm

colen35 wrote in Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:17 pm:This deals with the view of the instrument panel and controls. I have tried several different aircraft with the same problem in each of them. The view is not what a real world pilot would see. The panel itself is black and switches and controls cannot be identified without hovering the mouse over something and waiting for a pop-up to tell what the switch or control is supposed to be.

this sounds like you have, somehow, toggled the 2D panel on... the next time you are in-sim, hit SHIFT-P (IIRC) to toggle the 2D panel on/off...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Support