Board index FlightGear Support

Win 10 minimal settings; bat file crash?;diagnostics problem  Topic is solved

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Win 10 minimal settings; bat file crash?;diagnostics problem  

Postby Simworld2020 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:06 pm

Hello,

I've been enjoying 2020.3.11 and 2020.4 [nightly] for a while now but after a Win 10 update, they crash very soon after load, even with the UFO.

On a crash/troubleshooting wiki I found out how to make a batch file to start up FG with minimal settings for testing, I made the .bat file but when I run it, the conslole/terminal window shows up for only a moment then disappears, not enough time to read anything in that terminal window, and Flightgear never begins to run, or if it does, I can't see it.

Here is my code in the .bat file trying to start up 2020.3.11 with minimal settings for debug, can anyone see any problems in it? Any help appreciated, thank you.

Code: Select all
@echo off
"C:\Program Files\FlightGear 2020.3\bin\fgfs.exe" --fg-root="C:\Program Files\FlightGear 2020.3\data" --ignore-autosave --airport=ksfo --offset-distance=4000 --offset-azimuth=90 --altitude=500 --heading=0 --model-hz=60 --disable-random-objects --prop:/sim/rendering/texture-compression=off --prop:/sim/rendering/quality-level=0 --prop:/sim/rendering/shaders/quality-level=0 --disable-ai-traffic --prop:/sim/ai/enabled=0 --aircraft=ufo --disable-sound --prop:/sim/rendering/random-vegetation=0 --prop:/sim/rendering/random-buildings=0 --disable-specular-highlight --disable-ai-models --disable-clouds --disable-clouds3d --fog-fastest --visibility=5000 --disable-distance-attenuation --disable-enhanced-lighting --disable-real-weather-fetch --prop:/sim/rendering/particles=0 --prop:/sim/rendering/multi-sample-buffers=1 --prop:/sim/rendering/multi-samples=2
Flying DHC-6, MD-11 and A320-family
FG 2020.3.11 / 2020.4.0 nightly
Lenovo Thinkpad W540
Windows 10 Pro vers. 21H2 - 64 bit
Intel core i7-4800MQ @ 2.7 GHz
24 Gb DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA Quadro K2100M/2Gb RAM
Simworld2020

Re: Win 10 minimal settings; bat file crash?;diagnostics pro

Postby MariuszXC » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:30 am

Simworld2020 wrote in Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:06 pm:I made the .bat file but when I run it, the conslole/terminal window shows up for only a moment then disappears, not enough time to read anything in that terminal window...

When a batch file stops executing, win destroys the associated terminal window. What you need to do is add a pause command after FG. This will make the batch wait for a key press and allow you to read what is being printed.
I think the same information is saved to a FG log file, so you shoul be able to see it this way too.

See discussion here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/163 ... -enter-key
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:08 pm

perhaps you should run the .bat file from the command line instead of via an icon you click? ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby V12 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:13 pm

before run batch, You need change working directory, Win is not Linux...
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Simworld2020 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:14 pm

Thank you guys, I got the batch file to run FG.
I used Wkitty42's method first as it was the quickest to try, I ran it from the windows command terminal rather than from the desktop icon, the terminal window stayed open.
Even when running from the command terminal, at first it would not start FG because the script contains " --disable-enhanced-lighting ", but at least the terminal window stayed open and the process told me that " --disable-enhanced-lighting is deprecated and should not be used". So I removed it from the script and then everything worked fine and flightgear started up with the minimal profile.

@v12 In this case I did not have to change any directory structure in the script, not sure how it is different from linux but it was not a factor this time.
@MariuszXC I read and bookmarked the forum you linked, that info is very good to know.

Thank you all again for the help & best wishes.
Flying DHC-6, MD-11 and A320-family
FG 2020.3.11 / 2020.4.0 nightly
Lenovo Thinkpad W540
Windows 10 Pro vers. 21H2 - 64 bit
Intel core i7-4800MQ @ 2.7 GHz
24 Gb DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA Quadro K2100M/2Gb RAM
Simworld2020

Return to Support