Board index FlightGear Support

I need help and advice on getting started.

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

I need help and advice on getting started.

Postby mikeynkebro » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:09 am

Before I start I want to point out that I use windows 10 for any one wondering what OS I'm using.

I installed flight gear yesterday and did some test flights. I'm still getting used to flying the Cessna and have only made 1 successful landing. All the other planes I still have no idea how to fly.

I noticed that I needed to download different parts of the world on their website to fly in certain areas. applinked I have a few questions about it.

I downloaded a couple of world areas in New York and surrounding areas. I dragged the files in the in the "additional scenery locations" box in the add-ons tab, and then tried taking off at JFK airport (which is the area I downloaded) but it ended up spawning me in the middle of the ocean? So I must have done something wrong then. All the online tutorials are really old and outdated or are for mac (I use windows). I found 1 good tutorial on you tube but I didn't have the right folders shown in the video. So I gave up at that point and went to bed.

Is there a way to download the whole world map?, because It only allows me to download 10x squares for each area of the world. I tried looking all over flight gears website but still couldn't find a way to download the full map.

I believe those are the only 2 questions I have to ask as I don't have many other issues. I think it's a great simulator, but I find it extremely complicated to download terrain. Help would be appreciated thanks.
Last edited by mikeynkebro on Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeynkebro

Re: I need help and advice on getting started.

Postby D-ECHO » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:27 am

The easiest way to download scenery is to enable Automatic Scenery Download in the graphical launcher (Settings Page, Download section).

If there is a reason why this option is not viable for you, please let us know, then we can go through the other ways.
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Re: I need help and advice on getting started.

Postby Parnikkapore » Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:17 am

All the other planes I still have no idea how to fly.

Aside from how you start them and where the levers are, The basics of how to fly most planes are the same.

Is there a way to download the whole world map?

The entire world map is 70GB, excluding OSM-related features (afaik). Are you sure that is what you want?

There is a way, primarily intended for scenery mirrors, but you're on your own for using it within FlightGear.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Return to Support