Board index FlightGear Support

Locations Issue

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Locations Issue

Postby Delta5142 » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:02 am

Hello,
I just installed the new Flightgear 2020.3.11 and I have this problem. Whenever I go to the locations menu, It just shows me this screen:

When I try to enter a location in the search bar, for example "KSMF" (Sacramento Airport) It doesn't do anything and keeps showing me this screen. So I get curious and hit "Fly", with no location selected, and it puts me smack in the middle of KSFO. I then try using the command line with the command:
Code: Select all
--airport=KSMF
--runway=34L

...and it still puts me in KSFO.

Thanks,
Delta
Delta5142

Callsign: DAL5142
Version: next

Re: Locations Issue

Postby Johan G » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:17 am

Wild guess: Do you have the apt.dat and the other .dat files and/or is the navdata cache missing or corrupt? Unfortunately I am unsure of the location of the latter.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:37 am

this really sounds like FGData has not been downloaded so the FG install can find it... the log file should say something pointing to the problem... might have to add "--loglevel=debug"... or maybe it is "--log-level=debug"... i can't check at the moment... the wiki has a list of most all starting properties, though... i've done work on that page several times...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Delta5142 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:51 am

Johan G wrote in Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:17 am:Wild guess: Do you have the apt.dat and the other .dat files and/or is the navdata cache missing or corrupt? Unfortunately I am unsure of the location of the latter.

Hmm, I did have the NavData installed from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39303, And when I uninstalled it from my add-ons page, the locations tab works now.

Delta5142
Delta5142

Callsign: DAL5142
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:57 am

sounds like some kind of conflict... i'd double check the installation of that addon... if it is like scenery mods, FG will stop looking once it finds a matching directory and it is first come, first served... so entries higher in the scenery list take precedence...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Support