Board index FlightGear Support

ALS in start menu.

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

ALS in start menu.

Postby dilbert » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:08 pm

There are three choices for ALS in the start menu: Default; Automatic Light Scattering, and Rembrandt. However, Automatic Light Scattering is on in the Default Mode, making its selection in the Start Menu redundant. Because ALS is now on in the Default Mode, one must turn it off when starting with another plane, if doing so is necessary to improve frame rate, which is a nuisance for those with older systems.

Since the ALS selection is now redundant in the Start Menu, it would be helpful for people with older machines to change the Automatic Light Scattering selection to "Automatic Light Scattering Off"; so
that it will remain off until the user choses to restore it by selecting "Default" in the Start Menu. :)

Kind Regards
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Re: ALS in start menu.

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:06 pm

this won't be needed at all in the upcoming releases of FG... Rembrandt is totally removed and the compositor does everything for the most part...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby dilbert » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:17 pm

Thanks; but does the revised "compositor" (defined as a person by Oxford) enable one to select ALS to be selected always off on any plane change or program start :?:
dilbert

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:26 pm

Default is supposed to be ALS off ... I can confirm that it starts with ALS for me. That's a bug and should be fixed.

As for Compositor, ALS is the standard now. There is a legacy option "low specification". But any modern hardware can run ALS just fine ... actually on my 5 year old low-end hardware it actually runs faster than default.

Compositor is not a shader like ALS... it is a rendering pipeline. So, there is no longer any option to select Rembrandt or ALS. It's just an entire replacement of the back-end of the rendering system. You can then choose the shaders you want, either basic ones or more powerful ones (or the new HDR pipeline).
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby dilbert » Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:17 pm

Thanks for the reply.
My machines aren't quite legacy; but not exceptionally powerful. My Intel I3 with on board graphics has a typical frame rate of 6 to 7 with ALS on, and 12 to 14 with it off. My I3 with NVIDIA is better-around 12 with ALS on and 24 with it off.
Thanks again for the information and Kind Regards. :)
dilbert

Postby V12 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:17 am

How nVidia ?
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby dilbert » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:24 pm

It uses an entry level NVIDIA GeForce 210 graphics card, which gives it a performance improvement over the Intel onboard graphics.
dilbert

Return to Support