Board index FlightGear Support

FG 2020.3.9 popups don't work/ won't close.

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

FG 2020.3.9 popups don't work/ won't close.

Postby kemosabe » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:17 pm

Hi all,

I am flying FG 2020.3.9 using iMac Retina 5K 2017 with 24 GB RAM and Intel quad-core I5.

Not sure if I am posting in right topic. I downloaded FG 2020.3.9. tweaked settings, etc. to get decent FPR, program has worked fine these last weeks. Today, various popup boxes when I go to MENU bar don't work (I couldn't select options) AND the popups would not close and go away. This forced me to quit program and relaunch. Despite multiple quit/ launches, problem persisted.

I went back to FG 2020.3.8, and everything is working.

Any clue what the problem might be?

Thanks.
kemosabe

Re: FG 2020.3.9 popups don't work/ won't close.

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:40 pm

what popup boxes? you need to be specific, please...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby kemosabe » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:55 pm

By popup boxes, I meant the windows that open up when you go to MENU > ENVIRONMENT > Weather, etc. A window opens with choices you can make.
The problem I am having with FG 2020.3.9 is that the windows open, but won't allow me to select options. Worse, the window won't close. I can slide the window around, though.
When I launched 2020.3.8, everything worked.
Sorry for unclear terms.
kemosabe

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:14 am

ok... that's better... and really weird... i can't say that i've seen any reports of anything like that happening before...

was your 2020.3.9 install an upgrade over 2020.3.8 or a clean install in a new directory? i have no idea how Mac stuff works...

2020.3.10 has been branched earlier today or yesterday... it will be along soon... i'm curious if you will see the same thing with it...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby kemosabe » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:40 am

Hi wkitty42,
I'm not tech savvy enough to know about "new directory". I did install 2020.3.9 off FG site (or SourceForge) and it is in my "Apps" directory, along with four or five other FG versions.
Like I said FG 2020.3.9 was working fine until yesterday. I'll see if I can think of some tweak or other that might be causing glitch. I am still figuring out best balance between "eye candy" and FPR, and have been playing around a bit.
Come to think of it, the trouble began when I tried to fly out of Benton Airfield (085) in CA. And then "flew" over to Redding CA airport. At which point, second airport did not show up at all. Best I can recall, that is when my troubles with FG 2020.3.9 began.
Thanks for your patience.
kemosabe

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:16 pm

kemosabe wrote in Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:40 am:Hi wkitty42,
I'm not tech savvy enough to know about "new directory". I did install 2020.3.9 off FG site (or SourceForge) and it is in my "Apps" directory, along with four or five other FG versions.

ok, this would indicate that each is a separate install and not an upgrade over the top of an existing installation...

kemosabe wrote in Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:40 am:Like I said FG 2020.3.9 was working fine until yesterday. I'll see if I can think of some tweak or other that might be causing glitch. I am still figuring out best balance between "eye candy" and FPR, and have been playing around a bit.

adjusting the properties should not affect the dialog boxes being able to be used...
i don't know what FPR is...

kemosabe wrote in Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:40 am:Come to think of it, the trouble began when I tried to fly out of Benton Airfield (085) in CA. And then "flew" over to Redding CA airport. At which point, second airport did not show up at all. Best I can recall, that is when my troubles with FG 2020.3.9 began.

that is... strange...
could you be having drive space problems? or perhaps a drive is being faulty? if there is some drive integrity tool you can use, you might give that a go to be sure the drive is not going bad... you might also want to test your memory, as well... there are other things that might also lead to weird things happening... eg: overheating, border line voltages from the power supply, etc...

kemosabe wrote in Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:40 am:Thanks for your patience.

not a problem... sometimes a good head scratcher (aka puzzle) is a welcome diversion... this is kinda one of those time...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby kemosabe » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:55 pm

Thanks. I meant FPS.

Lots of HD drive space. After putting in new sticks, I have 24GB RAM.

I'll just stick with FG 202.3.8.
kemosabe

Postby kemosabe » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:42 am

Hi all,

I am flying FG 2020.3.9 using iMac Retina 5K 2017 with 24 GB RAM and Intel quad-core I5.

Update: FG 2020.3.8 worked for a day or two, and then the same problem surfaced. That is, Cessna flies fine. When I use MENU to get maps, search for airports, set COM/Nav, the buttons don't work at all in the windows. For example, I want to search for Trenton Airport, put my cursor in the field, and can't enter anything.
Worse, the windows that open can't be closed. As I said in first postings, I quit FG 2020.3.9 many times, and the problems persisted.
I went back to FG 2020.3.8, and it worked fine for two days, and then the same issues surfaced.
I downloaded clean copy of 2020.3.9 from SourceForge tonight, and the problems are there.
I hate to give up on FG just when I was getting the hang of it.
PS The Mac is working fine with all other apps, etc. There is no problem with the mouse (tried 3) nor the yoke.

Would appreciate any help on this.
Thanks.
kemosabe

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:10 pm

i've reported this to the developer mailing list and asked james to drop in and see if he can offer some assistance... he is the mac developer in the core dev group...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby kemosabe » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:15 pm

Appreciate this. wkitty42.
kemosabe

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:34 pm

ok, i don't know if anyone from the mailing list will actually drop by but here's (the) two responses i've had so far...

rootbrain wrote:This definitely sounds like a macOS issue, likely not flightgear, as they didn't mention what version of macOS they have installed, and whether or not they updated it (apple -> software updates -> check for updates).

and

james wrote:Yeah no clue what might be happening there : if a given version was working, and then stops, 90% chance it’s something in their OS config, since, well FG does not change. I’d check nothing weird got changed in input / accessibility settings for example : PUI is very sensitive to (simulated) key clicks, eg if they had some system extension which sends alt/shift with clicks, PUI would likely ignore all the mouse events…

and TBH, i was starting to think this might be something OS related in your setup... since i do not know mac at all, i have no idea where to suggest you to look...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby kemosabe » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:52 pm

James and wkitty42,

Thanks for ideas. Sorry. I meant to include. OS 11.4 Big Sur.

For what it's worth, I dug up copy of FG 2018, launched it and the same problem showed up there. while problem appears only after a day or two in FG versions 2020.3.9, 2020.3.8, problem showed up right away with FG 2018.

Also, with all three FG versions, the mouse continues to function with adjusting things like "view position". THe problem occurs only with windows that come up when I open MENU selections.

Shoot. Fun while it lasted :)
kemosabe

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:21 pm

are you using some sort of system extension like mentioned in james' reply i quoted above?
i've reported back to the list what OS you are running... i'm not sure how that may play into this problem, tho...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby kemosabe » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:54 pm

wkitty42 and all,

Thanks for sticking with me on this.

First, I have no not used any extensions at all. I am still just trying to get comfortable with the basics. I also have been on Macs for years, and they have been rock solid. No intent to throw any stones at FG. I also am not a power Machead--FG is about the only app I have downloaded on this iMac.

More to the mystery (if you care to follow) ...

Just now I launched FG 2018.3.5. The problem with the MENU windows is there--won't allow me to enter selections AND won't close (so cockpit view is blocked). I did notice something--when I click ESC (escape on Mac keyboard), MENU windows closed. Once a window came up asking if I wanted to quit FG session. I also noticed that occasionally the "p" key on keyboard would not pause the session. At other times, the Cessna would be on the runway and appear to be rolling backwards. Then the pause button would stop the backward motion.

Even more strange. I went back to FG 2020.3.9. The issues with the MENUwindows have disappeared, and the program seems to be working. This was the freshly downloaded version (from SourceForge). Last night, when I tested it, it had all the issues mentioned above. Today, it seems to be working fine.

I am going to guess that it's not the mouse and not the keyboard. It doesn't appear to be FG 2020.3.9 (as James said above). I don't think it's the Mac OS (Big Sur, 11.4) since I am back to FG 2020.3.9. Maybe it has something to do with the interface between Big Sur (OS 11.4) and the FG versions that I have been testing.

Thanks for the efforts, good people.
Beats me.
kemosabe

Postby Hooray » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:55 pm

VERY WEEEEEEIIIIIRRRDDD OpenGL and graphics driver issue
Hooray wrote:If resetting (renaming/deleting $FG_HOME) solves the problem for you, you have probably selected rendering settings that are not compatible with your setup, which is why FlightGear cannot create the OSG window. To see if that's the case, just rename/move the $FG_HOME folder and it will be automatically re-created using default settings.

Please report back here if this has any effect or not
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Next

Return to Support