Board index FlightGear Support

Is there such a thing as airport ATC ?  Topic is solved

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Is there such a thing as airport ATC ?

Postby TheEagle » Fri May 07, 2021 12:38 pm

Yesterday I was being ATC controlled by SCHOOL in EGGB Birmingham, I think, and I had AI traffic switched on. I got text messages in the top of the FlightGear simulation window like "Birmingham Ground, ready to taxi B1484" or something. Right now I am at London Heathrow, and getting tons of such messages. Following a picture:

To come back to the ATC controlling in Birmingham, I asked the ATC controller whether he were doing a solo session on ATC-pie because of these messages (I was the only one being ATC controlled at that time in that area). He said, no, and he said something about "airport ATC". Where do these messages come from (they stop appearing when I switch AI traffic off), and can I get such ATC too ?

If it matters : I have RGAtc installed, but disabled, and no other ATC plugins (SpokenATC, ATCChatter, …)

EDIT:
By now, I found out that this "airport ATC" responds even to me when I switch to the correct radio freq and use the standard phrases which can be selected by pressing -, then numbers.
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Re: Is there such a thing as airport ATC ?  

Postby wkitty42 » Fri May 07, 2021 1:35 pm

those messages come from the AI traffic manager when the AI are turned on...

yes, you can use an AI ATC for your craft but it only works for startup, taxi, and takeoff... if you get the order wrong in the option selections, it easily gets confused and may leave you sitting for tens of minutes... use the apostrophe (') to open the dialog on the right side of the sim screen...

1. use option 1 each time and wait for the dialog to return after each use...
  2. when you receive push back clearance and acknowledge it by pressing option 1, move your craft out onto the taxi lane either by using a push back or by just driving it out like you would with a GA craft... when you are out there on the taxiway, the dialog will return so you can request taxi clearance... you have to be in position for this to happen...
  3. i only use option 2 to turn on the taxi path (green line you will follow to the runway from your parking position) after receiving taxi clearance...
  4. the green taxi path line will take you all the way to the runway threshold... pull onto the threshold and align your craft for take off...
  5. once you are aligned, then you can use option 1 a final time to complete the routine, and switch to the tower freq...
  6. after that, just take off... there is no tower comms...
  7. once you have taken off, you can follow your flight plan and simply close the ATC Comms dialog as there will be nothing else automated coming...
  8. i just close the dialog box by clicking on its close button in the top right corner...
  9. there is nothing like this for approach, landing, or taxing to parking...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby TheEagle » Fri May 07, 2021 1:41 pm

Can I file a flightplan, too, so the AI chooses the right runway for me ? And can I let the AI repeat the last message ? They always disappear so fast …
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby wkitty42 » Fri May 07, 2021 2:33 pm

TheEagle wrote in Fri May 07, 2021 1:41 pm:Can I file a flightplan, too, so the AI chooses the right runway for me ?

no... runways are always selected based on the prevailing wind direction... the flight plan has nothing to do with which runway you will take off from...

TheEagle wrote in Fri May 07, 2021 1:41 pm:And can I let the AI repeat the last message ? They always disappear so fast …

it depends... the plus key (+) is used to request a repeat of the last message but i do not know if it works with this AI ATC... it might but i've not actually tested it... i did test with the UFO at KSFO when i wrote the above, though... it has been a while since i've used it... 5 or 6 years, i guess :) either way, it is very simple and just enough to get you to the runway for takeoff...

FWIW: i use "AI ATC" when talking about this automated ATC for startup, taxi, and takeoff... i use "AIATC" (no space) when talking about the AI traffic manager ATC seen/heard when AI craft are turned on...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Support