Board index FlightGear Support

Squawkgear

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Squawkgear

Postby AutizmoWizmo » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:41 am

Hi I was trying to install squawkgear to FlightGear so I can connect VATSIM but whenever I clicked i the zip file it said that it could not find the dns server

I am using MACOS can anyone explain to me why I cant install squawkgear did it get shut down or is it just not compatible anymore?
AutizmoWizmo

Re: Squawkgear

Postby Isaak » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:32 am

Squawkgear is deprecated and VATSIM doesn't allow it to connect anymore. You must now use Swift. It 's much more convenient and FlightGear is officially supported by it.

- You must use any FlightGear 2020.x or higher version to be able to connect with swift (via the Multiplayer>swift connection menu)
- download the latest alpha version of swift here (via other downloads).
- follow this tutorial very carefully. (Some menus might look different as Swift has been developed a lot since the video was made, but the functionality is the same.
- more info on the wiki

Enjoy it! ;-) Swift is way more complete than Squawkgear ever was (I've used both) and gives you a very immersive experience.

Edit: just a hint: I saw on the forums that you're a new pilot. Make sure you use an aircraft that you can handfly, land, know proper procedures, understand and use it's autopilot and have current charts at hand when flying on Vatsim (Navigraph is worth every €/$/£/¥ if you can afford it). I strongly suggest starting off at less busier airspaces (e.g. don't fly from/to London Gatwick during rush hour immediately). Also put a 'New pilot, first time Vatsim' comment in the remarks field of your flightplan. Vatsim controllers are helpful and kind most of the time, especially if you let them know you're new, but they do appreciate that you don't disrupt their operations or cause dangerous situations and have healthy judgement of what you're capable of ;-) You'll see that you'll be very nervous to speak on radio the first time, but you'll get used to it fast and enjoy the very steep learning process you'll go through :-D Have fun!
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby Delta5142 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:47 am

Hi all,
Is swift compatible with Mac.os 10.12?

Thanks,
Delta
Delta5142

Callsign: DAL5142

Postby Isaak » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:37 am

Yes, it should work. Just download the dmg installer here (latest alpha).
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA

Postby Delta5142 » Wed May 05, 2021 4:28 am

Hello,
I've been trying to download swift for MacOs but I just can't get it to work. Whenever I finish the installation process from the swift installer, it downloads 3 folders and the swift uninstaller wherever I choose to put it. The folders are called lib, share, and bin. I don't know where to actually start up swift. Again, I'm on MacOs 10.12. Any help will be appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Delta
Delta5142

Callsign: DAL5142

Postby G-UNTER » Mon May 24, 2021 9:34 am

Hi there!
Go to bin --> swiftlauncher and setup swift.
After setup:
'swiftdata' (green) is where you configure model matching
'swiftgui' (blue) is the main program where you connect to VATSIM, file flightplans, see online ATC etc.

Hope this helps

G
Join the Official Flightgear Discord: https://discord.gg/kzAt8JE6mK
G-UNTER

Callsign: G-UNTER
Version: 2020.3.3

Return to Support