Board index FlightGear Support

Error Report UI

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Error Report UI

Postby scarymovie » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I have just installed the latest FG nightly version 2020.4 and see this new Error Report dialog that pops up whenever there are some issues detected. I believe this is a new feature which is WIP. However I find it a nuisance sometimes especially when I am in a middle of a flight. Is there a way to turn this off?

Thank you.
scarymovie

Re: Error Report UI

Postby Hooray » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:15 pm

The nightlies are provided to encourage wider testing and receive better feedback; this sort of feature makes it possible to provide just that. The text field at the bottom clearly says that this is a shader related error message. So, I would suggest to do as is recommended, report these issues and they should go away over time automatically.

Keep in mind, by using those nightlies you are more or less agreeing to being a part of the whole QA process, so it's not a good idea to out of these features, especially not if you are hoping that these issues will be solved in upcoming FlightGear versions.

PS: "sentry" is your Keyword for related mailing list/forum and wiki searches :D
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby zakalawe » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:54 pm

The UI is work in progress, indeed. For nightly builds we prefer people to fix the bugs rather than hide the warning - for stable releases we will probable allow add a 'don't show again'. But if you're running a nightly the 'price' is to help fix bugs, is the idea :)

Of course if people find the messages really annoying we can change it, but we want to fix the issues, if we make it possible to turn it off, people won't do that.

In this case the bug is in the Citation model: please check if the file is actually missing or report the error to the Citation developers, I guess.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby WoodSTokk » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:28 pm

@scarymovie
I think it has to do with the livery. Every livery set some values if you select them.
But at start time, this values are not defined.
To test it, open the file Citation-II-common.xml and search for this text block (around line 127):
Code: Select all
      <livery>
        <file type="string">blue-grey</file>
      </livery>

and change it to this:
Code: Select all
      <livery>
        <file type="string">blue-white</file>
        <name type="string">Blue-white</name>
        <texture type="string">Liveries/Lv2.png</texture>
        <reflect-map-enabled type="int">0</reflect-map-enabled>
        <reflection-correction type="float">-0.2</reflection-correction>
        <ambient-correction type="float">0.15</ambient-correction>
      </livery>

Please report if this fix the problem.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Hooray » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:56 pm

It might make some sense to provide additional filtering options for end-users, so that they can explicitly filter such errors by type/severity and maybe category, i.e. in terms of aircraft/scenery/GUI/core etc

That way, it will be much easier for aircraft/scenery devs to use the dialog, and it will be easier for non-developers/end-users to forward such errors as needed.

Over time, the dialog could also be refined to help "review" aircraft updates prior to being released, i.e. by running some heuristics to check for some of the common errors (missing files, wrong paths, case sensivity etc) - which is a long-standing idea/feature request, brought up by senior contributors like Gijs and others, i.e. a dedicated "mode" where FlightGear would parse a -set.xml file and see what errors show up while VALIDATING the file.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Support