Board index FlightGear Support

Spooky bug in "Random attitude" function

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Spooky bug in "Random attitude" function

Postby Fritz » Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:04 am

I occasionally use the "Location - Position Aircraft in Air" menu option to get a quick overview over an airport. Today I accidentally clicked "Random Attitude" while the plane was standing on a runway. This dropped down my plane from an altitude of maybe 30 m above ground, causing it to end up in a more or less inconvenient orientation (usually on its back). I don't want to ask what this function is supposed to do -- after all it kind of does what the menu suggests -- but there seems to be a strange bug.

After the plane ended up on its back several times, I tried to correct this by "Position Aircraft in Air", but then it got really weird: I ended up on a ghost ship with eerily glowing containers. And although I started in daylight, it suddenly was dark.

Depending on your starting attitude or altitude, you can also end up inside this ship's hull, partly submerged in water.

Looking at the internal properties, I found that I was at the location N/S 0.000, E/W 0.000, i.e. in the Atlantic ocean, where somebody has conveniently placed this ship object to save unlucky pilots from drowning. The ship isn't part of the bug. It's really there, and you can visit it in a more orderly fashion by using the "Position Aircraft in Air" dialog. You can even land on the wake...

Whatever went wrong with the "Random Attitude" function messed up FG permanently, i.e. it couldn't be corrected by choosing another airport, location or altitude, or by using the reset option -- the latter caused FG to crash. (My FG version is 2018.3.6.)

The glowing containers seem to be a separate problem. I never noticed this before, but I mostly fly during daylight. I don't know if all ships are affected or only this one (or the object used in this case).
Fritz

Version: 2018.3.6

Return to Support