Board index FlightGear Support

How to install OpenGL

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

How to install OpenGL

Postby BCJ » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:11 am

How can I download and configure openGL the internet just tells me to download CodeBlocks or something else :?: Can someone show me how to do this because I want to prevent lag which happens because I am don't have OpenGL...

Version of FlightGear : 2020.3.4
Graphics: Intel R HD Graphics
Processor: Intel Core i5
RAM: 8GB

:?: I also happend to find a file named opengl32.dll in system32 is this open gl? :?:
BCJ

Re: How to install OpenGL

Postby Hooray » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:22 pm

determine the exact manufacturer/make/model of your graphics card (seemingly intel) and go to their website, download the latest drivers - install those, restart your operating system and run an OpenGL benchmark like FurMark3D to see if OpenGL is working properly (with hardware acceleration)

speaking in general, integrated intel GPUs (graphics cards) are infamous for their subpar performance compared to dedicated GPU from say nvidia or AMD/ATI.

You'll probably want a graphics card that is not much older than ~18 months, not much newer than ~6 months, one that provides at least 1024MB of VRAM
And you'd want to have at least 8-16 gb of total RAM or at the very least 4-8 gb of free RAM available.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby ludomotico » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:24 pm

Hi BCJ,

OpenGL is not some software you can install on your PC. It is a capability of your hardware. Either your hardware accelerates OpenGL or not, and you can't do anything to it except buying new hardware.

The good news is that most if not all current video cards support OpenGL. If FlightGear runs, it means you already have OpenGL support. The bad news is "Intel R HD Graphics" is notorious slow with OpenGL applications and I'm afraid you can't do anything to fix this. "Intel R HD Graphics" are great to build a PC using little money, but this PC won't be able to run many games fast. Just in case, check you've got the last "Intel R HD Graphics" drivers and deactivate as many FlightGear features as you can: minimum settings, minimum LOD (http://wiki.flightgear.org/Level_Of_Detail_(LOD)_Ranges ), fly simple aircraft...

If you are considering buying a new video card, NVIDIA is probably the best option. Not because they make the best video cards, but because FG developers only have NVIDIA cards and test their new developments on them.
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby Hooray » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:29 pm

ludomotico wrote in Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:24 pm:If you are considering buying a new video card, NVIDIA is probably the best option. Not because they make the best video cards, but because FG developers only have NVIDIA cards and test their new developments on them.

With that sort of statement, nvidia should consider buying some ad space on the splash screen or the help/about dialog :lol:
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby ludomotico » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:45 pm

:D Just in case, it is just my opinion and, as a result, personal and biased !
ludomotico

Version: nightly

Postby Hooray » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:50 pm

There certainly is some truth to this ... I am guilty of that myself, but I believe it's primarily because most contributors these days are still Linux-based, and NVIDIA's driver support is much better their in comparison - indeed, if FlightGear required a printer, we'd probably all be using HP for the same reason :D
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby BCJ » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:04 am

I'll buy a completely new PC, I'll finally see FG after 2 years...
BCJ

Postby Hooray » Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:35 pm

Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby wlbragg » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:10 pm

I believe it's primarily because most contributors these days are still Linux-based, and NVIDIA's driver support is much better their in comparison - indeed

I agree with this.
Add to that things like my AMD/ATI card works well on Linux but looses the geometry shader, but then on Windows gains back the geometry shader then losses the splash screens and requires the alternative GUI switch.
It's like a loose-loose scenario. Just annoying. But, I really haven't found it to have any issues with any other software I have installed. So there is that as well, which tells you something.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:13 pm

there definitely is a shortage of Windows based core devs/contributors, so that the level of testing going on there is understandably marginal.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby V12 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:34 pm

BCJ wrote in Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:04 am:I'll buy a completely new PC, I'll finally see FG after 2 years...

Buy fastest possible i3 CPU, 16 GB RAM and some nVidia GPU with 2 GB VRAM. On almost all places of the world You will have 60 fps with decent visibility limit 160 km.

FG is not optimized for modern 4 and more core CPU, 4 core i3 at 3.5 GHz has enough power and price is nice low.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Hooray » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:05 pm

The recommendation looks sound, if possible it would be great if you could help us update the hardware recommendations accordingly.

Like I said elsewhere, even an "old" (3-5 years) used/refurbished Nvidia based quadcore workstation with at least 2gb of VRAM and 16gb of RAM will usually be in the 200-300 USD ballpark and should provide plenty of horsepower, and it's likely to take years before it will require an upgrade, at which point 150 USD for a better graphics card will go a long way. Things like Vulkan are unlikely to become relevant until a handful of long-standing core issues are addressed.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to Support