Board index FlightGear Support

Is it possible to allocate more RAM for FlightGear?  Topic is solved

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Is it possible to allocate more RAM for FlightGear?

Postby MichaelDu » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:34 pm

Dear all,

I searched on Google and could not find the answer. I also searched on the forums using the Advanced Search, but I couldn't find anything on my topic. Is it possible to allocate more RAM to FlightGear so that it can run on more memory.

FlightGear Version: 2020.1.2
Graphics card: GTX 1050

Thanks a lot!
MichaelDu

Re: Is it possible to allocate more RAM for FlightGear?

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:19 pm

you have to have the memory available for it to be allocated... if you don't have enough now, the only option is to add more memory to your machine...

how much memory does your machine have?
what is the make and model of your machine?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:26 pm

You can always download more:

https://downloadmoreram.com/
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby MichaelDu » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:33 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:19 pm:you have to have the memory available for it to be allocated... if you don't have enough now, the only option is to add more memory to your machine...

how much memory does your machine have?
what is the make and model of your machine?

I have 16GB.
Lenovo L340-Gaming
MichaelDu

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:59 am

16Gig of RAM should be ok... but it depends how much other stuff you have running, too...

my first machine (this one actually) that i ran FG on only has 16Gig of RAM but it is also a VM server for several hosts... i didn't have any problems unless i really pushed things... my other machine has 32Gig of RAM...

in recent testing with LODs set for 150km, OSM scenery, and the AI flying about, we saw FG using about 6Gig of RAM... we don't have any numbers from other runs, though... that testing was done while we we streaming is with OBS pushing a 2k stream...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Hooray » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:04 pm

what are you hoping to accomplish here ?

Speaking in general, FlightGear will use the amount of RAM it needs - changing some settings will increase its RAM requirements, others will lower them.
If there is not enough free RAM, you would normally free up RAM by closing applications/services or using a dedicated environment just for FlightGear (think lightweight window manager or bootable flash drive).

On a system that has plenty of RAM, people sometimes set up a "RAM drive" to copy FlightGear and the base package into RAM, to improve performance that way.

Apart from that, these days 16gb isn't exactly plenty, but it's certainly good enough - so you should be just fine, i.e. by changing LOD settings and other settings to use your RAM.
Besides keep in mind that textures must be copied from RAM into VRAM.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby MichaelDu » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:21 pm

Ah, I did not know that, thanks for telling me ;D I thought that you could allocate more RAM for FlightGear as you would with a game like Minecraft.

Thanks a lot.
MichaelDu

Postby Hooray » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:22 pm

FlightGear will try to use the memory it needs, which is determined by your startup/runtime settings - if you don't have sufficient RAM, it will bail out (crash).
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:48 pm

MichaelDu wrote in Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:21 pm:I thought that you could allocate more RAM for FlightGear as you would with a game like Minecraft.

errrmmm... that's not really doing what you think it is doing... i mean it is but not how/why you think...

those things are written in java/javascript which does have memory limits on what applications can use... yes, it is possible to increase the amount of memory those systems can allocate but that's a restriction on the normal memory use allocations used... FG would be similar if it had a restriction setting on the amount of memory it can use but it does not... for numerous and obvious reasons...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Hooray » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:50 pm

The equivalent in FlightGear would be tweaking the GC (=garbage collection) defaults of the Nasal scripting interpreter - which is possibe, but requires recompilation currently - also, these defaults will tweak themselves over time, so it's not really needed unless you happen to have a really complex/Nasal-heavy aircraft (avionics).
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to Support