Board index FlightGear Support

Flight Planner Problem.

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Flight Planner Problem.

Postby MIG29pilot » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:01 pm

Hello Everyone. Tried creating a flight plan from EGKK to LFPB Paris Le Bourget and...well, lets just say the flight plan was rather interesting.
Works fine for every other destination other than Le Bourget.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Re: Flight Planner Problem.

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:11 pm

the situation is that there are some waypoints with the same name... the issue is the code that does the searching does not always find the closest waypoint with the chosen name and instead sometimes finds another waypoint with the same name instead...

when this happens, the only real choice is to manually put in the waypoints you really want... probably a good idea to not use the problematic one...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Johan G » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:33 am

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:11 pm:[...] there are some waypoints with the same name... [...]

Indeed. In the current ICAO annex 11, Appendix 2 (July 2018) "coded designators[1] for significant points marked by the site of a radio navigation aid" should not have duplicates within a 600 NM radius, unless they operate on a different radio band. The other designated points should not have duplicates.

In essence one expect there to be duplicates, at least outside a 600 NM radius.
____
[1] I would guess the "coded designators" refer to the identification signal of navaids transmitted in Morse code (two or three letters for ILS, VOR and NDB navaids) as described in Annex 10, Volume I (July 2018).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:22 am

Johan G wrote in Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:33 am:In essence one expect there to be duplicates, at least outside a 600 NM radius.

exactly... i've not looked at the code but i wonder how it does this search and what data is available... i expect longitude and latitude are available for each navaid and they would be used to search for navaids within that 600nm range... hopefully by using geod math stuff to check the range from the current navaid to the one being searched as the next navaid... if a navaid by the searched name is not located within 600nm, the code should abort and not find one by that name outside that range... when importing flightplans and running across this, i would probably just skip the navaid...

one way around this is for a flightplan to list the lat,lon so there's no question about where navaids/waypoints are located... i forget which flightplan site it is but at least one does export to FG using lat,lon format for the waypoints... i don't think i ever had problems with flightplans from that site but others did give me some weird out of place navaid/waypoint by using just the name and having FG search it out for its lat,lon...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:29 am

Did you use the "generate route" function? If so, yes, almost certainly that isn't working well (unrelated to the duplicate waypoints -- that is another thing entirely).

Also, the code should always return the closest one -- if not please file a bug report).
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Return to Support