Board index FlightGear Support

AVAST blocks FGFS.exe execution

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

AVAST blocks FGFS.exe execution

Postby mralbert » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:05 am

I am using the latest stable version: 2018.3.5.

When I tried to download a second aircraft, AVAST judged the file FGFS.exe to be a danger when it tried to replace a jpg file (I don't remember the exact file name) with another jpg file. Not thinking, I accepted AVAST's suggestion that the FGFS.exe file be quarantined. Now I can't undo the quarantine or download other aircraft.

The simulation still seems to function normally.

I guess the problem is on my end with the AVAST software but I thought you might be able to fix this for others. All I can think to do is uninstall and reinstall AVAST.

Thanks,

Mark
mralbert

Re: AVAST blocks FGFS.exe execution

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:08 am

you have to find the place in the AVAST system where it lists the files in quarantine... in there you can remove a file from quarantine and somewhere in the settings, you can tell it to ignore the FG file areas...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Re: AVAST blocks FGFS.exe execution

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:34 pm

I'd really suggest moving away from AVAST which is infamous for selling on your data to third parties -- if you need antivirus, would suggest paying for a reputable one, or else use the build-in Windows Defender :)
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Return to Support