Board index FlightGear Support

FG in Linux: any way to tell the launcher to stay open?

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

FG in Linux: any way to tell the launcher to stay open?

Postby mercster » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:51 am

Hey folks,

Is there a way to tell the FlightGear QT front-end to stay open after FG is launched? (So I can set up another flight faster.)

FG Version: 2019.1.1

Thanks very much.
mercster

Re: FG in Linux: any way to tell the launcher to stay open?

Postby Hooray » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:29 am

that's funny, the whole point of the Qt launcher was to have something integrated - but you could of course always use fgrun, which is indeed a separate binary, and which remains open
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby mercster » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:31 am

Aahhahahaha... well listen, no insult to the newer launcher! I have seen screenshots, I like the integrated QT one better... was just curious if there was a way to keep it open. No harm no foul. :)
mercster

Postby mercster » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:33 am

OR you know... maybe not stay open, but re-open the launcher when the flight simulation is ended? Or maybe there's a menu option to return to the launcher, I haven't found it.
mercster

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:47 pm

there is no current option to have the launcher stay open or reopen when the sim is started or exited... it was discussed and put on the back burner for some time while other more important items of the interface were hashed out and made to work...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby mercster » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:48 pm

OK no big deal... thanks so much!
mercster

Postby montagdude » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:55 pm

One option would be to go to Settings in the launcher, click the link to see all the command line arguments that will be used, then copy to clipboard. Open a terminal and paste it in, replacing the initial one (--launcher) with fgfs. This is my normal approach to running FlightGear anyway, because I need to set a temporary environment variable in a shell to run it anyway (DRI_PRIME=1, which makes it use the discrete graphics card).
montagdude

Return to Support