Board index FlightGear Support

[Solved] UFO/Input bug

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

[Solved] UFO/Input bug

Postby Bjoern » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:30 pm

- Edit²: Solved thanks to this commit from Jan 27th, 2020

- Edit: Ticket: https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/codetickets/2185/

Picking the UFO, installed from the launcher and default repository, in 2019.2.0 (Git/Next) produces this:

(Not visible: The conitnuous spinning, even when the sim is paused.)

Tested at ESSA, ESSB and EDDT, so it's not an airport issue. Looks like a coordinate system gone wrong.

Is this already known?
Last edited by Bjoern on Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bjoern

Version: Next

Re: UFO bug

Postby WoodSTokk » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:45 pm

Do you use a joystick?
WoodSTokk

Callsign: OE-WST
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.3.0

Postby danielHL » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:50 pm

Do you have a joystick connected? There is currently a bug where the joystick is initialized with full deflections. Wiggle the stick once and the UFO should return to horizontal and the spinning should stop.

BTW: Aren't ufos supposed to spin? :-P
danielHL / D-FMPW
danielHL

Callsign: D-FMPW
Version: next

Postby Maerchenprinz » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:04 pm

Hi Bjoern!

This usually happens when an input device sends absolutely NO input to the operating system ('s drivers), which is then interpreted as full deflection.
This is neither a feature nor a bug, nor is it FG related - it's a normal OS behaviour.
So, check if there are any special input devices plugged in. If so, do the wiggle-wiggle (my joystick just needs a little tapping btw).
If no special devices are plugged, check your arrow keys - usual suspects: inappropriate things lying ON them (remote, headphones, cats' feet) or inappropriate things UNDERNEATH them (usually sugary liquids).

Ciao,

Adrian
Maerchenprinz

Callsign: Adrian

Postby V12 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:44 pm

Try hit key 5 on numpad.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:25 pm

5 on the keypad might work but this is also a known problem with joysticks being the biggest culprit... it seems to be related to something, OS or driver, not initing the joystick to valid values after a system reboot... it is also not related to any specific OS, IIR the recent tests correctly...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Bjoern » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:43 pm

Thanks for the input everybody!

As it seems to be a...well, "feature", I'm marking this as solved.

danielHL wrote in Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:50 pm:Do you have a joystick connected? There is currently a bug where the joystick is initialized with full deflections. Wiggle the stick once and the UFO should return to horizontal and the spinning should stop.

BTW: Aren't ufos supposed to spin? :-P

Ah, that makes sense as the C172p is also initialized with full aileron left deflection.

I don't think so as it'd make the crew dizzy. :wink:

Maerchenprinz wrote in Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:04 pm:This usually happens when an input device sends absolutely NO input to the operating system ('s drivers), which is then interpreted as full deflection.
This is neither a feature nor a bug, nor is it FG related - it's a normal OS behaviour.

FG is the only sim I'm seeing this in, so I guess other sims (X-Plane on Windows and Linux, MSFS on Windows) compensate for lack of initial input.

Has this already been discussed somewhere in the bug tracker? I couldn't find anything appropriate searching for "joystick" or "deflection".
If not, I'd open a ticket requesting a workaround (something like zeroing all control deflections after initialization until a signal from a controller is received).
Bjoern

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:27 pm

i don't know that there's anything on the bug tracker for it but it has definitely been discussed in one of the shuttle topics and also on the dev mailing list... currently there is some work being done to try to find and eliminate a/the bug that allows these incorrect values to get into the system when they shouldn't... then it is possible that something may be done to try to fix them showing up at all... gotta fix the 2nd bug first and then the 1st one ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Bjoern » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:34 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:27 pm:i don't know that there's anything on the bug tracker for it but it has definitely been discussed in one of the shuttle topics and also on the dev mailing list... currently there is some work being done to try to find and eliminate a/the bug that allows these incorrect values to get into the system when they shouldn't... then it is possible that something may be done to try to fix them showing up at all... gotta fix the 2nd bug first and then the 1st one ;)

Great to hear that the subject has come up among the core devs. I'm contemplating opening a ticket regardless just to have it out and in the open instead of the rather obscure mailing list.
Bjoern

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:32 pm

i don't see a problem with opening a bug report on it...

i also cannot help but to laugh because the dev mailing list is far from obscure... i mean, there's even a link to it at the top of every page in these forums ;)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Thorsten » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:32 am

'm contemplating opening a ticket regardless just to have it out and in the open instead of the rather obscure mailing list.

Ticket = filed away till someone has time to look at it
obscure mailing list = currently being discussed and actively solved
Thorsten

Postby Bjoern » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:59 pm

Ticket: https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/codetickets/2185/

wkitty42 wrote in Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:32 pm:i don't see a problem with opening a bug report on it...

i also cannot help but to laugh because the dev mailing list is far from obscure... i mean, there's even a link to it at the top of every page in these forums ;)

...and it's the mainstay of discussing bugs and core development, I know. But a ticketing system is so...orderly.

Thorsten wrote in Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:32 am:Ticket = filed away till someone has time to look at it
obscure mailing list = currently being discussed and actively solved

Ticket = Only receiving notifications/updates regarding a particular ticket
Obscure mailing list = Receiving any messages from any conversation currently going on that list. Unless there's kind of a filter where I only receive messages relating to stuff I'm participating in.
Bjoern

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:01 am

Bjoern wrote in Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:59 pm:Obscure mailing list = Receiving any messages from any conversation currently going on that list. Unless there's kind of a filter where I only receive messages relating to stuff I'm participating in.

that's why all email tools i'm aware of have filters... i use them extensively to put new emails into the proper folders on arrival... this keeps my inbox clean, categorizes all emails into one of the dozens of folders i have, and allows me to read the folders i'm interested in... with filters you can do a lot like adding tags, deleting (non-)matches, and more...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Thorsten » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:00 am

Ticket = Only receiving notifications/updates regarding a particular ticket

Sure - but since everything is so orderly filed away, it usually remains there for an indefinite time. There's tons of channels over which problem reports come in - email, PM, forum report, mailing list, ticket system, Facebook,... Pretty much no one monitors every channel, so things tend to get lost if they appear in a channel not monitored by the most likely person to fix.

But the only place everyone monitors is the mailing list.

So yeah, it keeps everyone's inbox clean, but it also isn't processed much. Given that we have a currently ongoing discussion to which this could be related, it's kind of.... odd to not contribute it to the discussion.

But hey - I don't really care, ufo works for me :D
Thorsten

Postby Bjoern » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:37 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:01 am:that's why all email tools i'm aware of have filters... i use them extensively to put new emails into the proper folders on arrival... this keeps my inbox clean, categorizes all emails into one of the dozens of folders i have, and allows me to read the folders i'm interested in... with filters you can do a lot like adding tags, deleting (non-)matches, and more...

So far, I do not wish to bend my e-mail box to the requirements of keeping conversations from mailing lists in order.

Thorsten wrote in Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:00 am:Sure - but since everything is so orderly filed away, it usually remains there for an indefinite time. There's tons of channels over which problem reports come in - email, PM, forum report, mailing list, ticket system, Facebook,... Pretty much no one monitors every channel, so things tend to get lost if they appear in a channel not monitored by the most likely person to fix.

But the only place everyone monitors is the mailing list.

So yeah, it keeps everyone's inbox clean, but it also isn't processed much. Given that we have a currently ongoing discussion to which this could be related, it's kind of.... odd to not contribute it to the discussion.

But hey - I don't really care, ufo works for me :D

There's got to be at least one person to monitor both the ticketing system and the mailing list and at least provide a passing mention of a similar conversation on one or the other. If both were completely separate ecosystems, what would be the point of using the ticketing system in the first place? It's a default feature of SourceForge yes, but if you're not gonna make use of it, you might as well set an autoreply like "Please report this to mailing list xyz" and automatically reject any tickets and done.

i'm not sure what I could contribute either. FG's devs know its code much better than I do and the only thing I can suggest as an outsider is clamping all flight controls at zero after fgfs start until any input (i.e. change in axis position value) from connected controllers is received, which would proably provoke lengthy replies why this is a bad idea.
Bjoern

Next

Return to Support