Board index FlightGear Support

Flightgear keeps crashing Linux Mint 19

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Flightgear keeps crashing Linux Mint 19

Postby Yoritomo » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:14 pm

Linux mint 19 Cinnamon
Kernel: http://www.atarimania.com/documents/Ata ... ervice.pdf
Nvidia GLX version: 1.4
Nvidia Driver: 390.116
Ram: 8GB DDR3
CPU: Intel core I5-4460
Graphic adapter: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 [GeForce GT 610]
Flightgear Version: 18.04.1 coming from PPA saiarcot95

Hello all

I have been using Flightgear since many year now, i think my configuration suffice for this usage, but recently i can't manage to run correctly Flightgear without to crash my Linux Mint, my Linux is freezing completely, the only option is to hard reset the computer !! Anyway my Linux Mint is quite stable except that. It looks like it was coming since i changed some parameters specifically in Cessna C172 Skyhawk , i wanted to have a better render of the scenery , but with other aircrafts it is doing the same issue too even if i can still reach the interface. I don't know how to rollback to original parameters, any folder to delete ? Should i upgrade to 16GB ?
Which log file may i provide to help you to identify the issue ?

Thanks for your help.
Yoritomo

Re: Flightgear keeps crashing Linux Mint 19

Postby V12 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:19 pm

Try to remove 2 files :
.fgfs/FlightGear/Flightgear.ini
.fgfs/autosave*.xml

.fgfs is hidden folder in Your home folder.
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Yoritomo » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:11 pm

Thanks a lot, looks like it is working fine now, i will inform you if it would not.
Yoritomo

Postby EquatorialFlight » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:31 pm

Is there a reason why it crashes? or why these 2 files are associated?
It has just been crashing my computer as well and stumbled upon this post. I feel it has some sort of relationship to me forcing it to shutdown and then killing the tmp directory with FlightGear stuff in it but I'm not sure
EquatorialFlight

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:09 am

EquatorialFlight wrote in Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:31 pm:Is there a reason why it crashes?

yes... we just don't know what all the reasons are, though...

EquatorialFlight wrote in Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:31 pm:or why these 2 files are associated?

those two files are settings files... if removing them allows FG to operate properly, it means that somehow you are creating some configuration that breaks FG... by deleting them, it allows FG to start with its defaults which are known to work as desired...

EquatorialFlight wrote in Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:31 pm:It has just been crashing my computer as well and stumbled upon this post.

did you notice that this topic is also 3 or 4 years old?

EquatorialFlight wrote in Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:31 pm:I feel it has some sort of relationship to me forcing it to shutdown and then killing the tmp directory with FlightGear stuff in it but I'm not sure

the first question is what is the full version of your FG?
the second question is why are you forcing FG to shutdown at all? the standard exit functions should be working properly and have been for several years now...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby TheEagle » Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:11 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:09 am:the standard exit functions should be working properly and have been for several years now...

I for example start FG from a console, and almost always use Ctrl+C to exit it (except for when I want to save changed graphics settings, for example) because the normal exit always takes at least one to two minutes. I do have a big SWAP which FG always fills at least to a quarter to half (2 - 4 GB), but I also have a fast disk (~100MB rate SSD).
Cessna 210 (Wiki)
My other aircraft: my wiki profile !
Other: FGTools (GitHub)
World tour: View on SkyVector
Please consider donating $1 / €1 to help me finance a new camera !
TheEagle

Pronouns: You, he
Callsign: F-EAGLE
IRC name: none
Version: Git next

Postby Michat » Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:36 am

I for example start FG from a console, and almost always use Ctrl+C to exit it (except for when I want to save changed graphics settings, for example) because the normal exit always takes at least one to two minutes. I do have a big SWAP which FG always fills at least to a quarter to half (2 - 4 GB), but I also have a fast disk (~100MB rate SSD).

I start from console also but never tried Control C which is a good idea, (except for when I want to save changed graphics settings, for example).

With my current setup MX-21-FB seems to execute the exit < escape + intro > sequence almost instantaneously. I remember that with my former setup based on Ubuntu took more time to closed FG. I used to kill process sometimes if in a hurry.

Since I'm new running both MX and iMac ( 4gb ram 512mb vram) for about 2 months with FG at 4-5 fps while trying to learn this new system by the tough way. In a desperate attempt to get more fps, listening to the loud hard disk activity.

I went Kamikaze with this command that I found.

sudo swapoff -a

In case of panic, but I never needed.

sudo swapon -a

Now FG is running low settings + extra AAx4 at 15-20-30 FPS which is amazing. HD is quiet and the overall performance of de PC is much much better.

Have you ever tried to crash your PC with this mode on your GLINUX systems?

I remember when using ubuntu based for years I discovered swaapinness that's what I was searching for in MX when I found swap off. For Mac is hard to do it but also exits.

Michat

Version: 191b

Return to Support