Board index FlightGear Support

Connecting to LittleNavMap

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Connecting to LittleNavMap

Postby cporses » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:13 am

Windows 10 PC
FlightGear 2019.1.1
Nvidia 1050

I run FG and LNM on the same PC, FG on main monitor and LNM on 2nd monitor.
I have so far been unable to get FG to connect to LNM.
I also use P3D and XP11 which connect seamlessly.
I am new to FG and any help would be appreciated
Bob
cporses

Re: Connecting to LittleNavMap

Postby Johan G » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:32 pm

Would that be Alexander Barthel's Little Navmap? I have never heard of it before,

Unfortunately it looks like it would need some kind of middleware to work with FlightGear. Looking at some readme files in his GitHub repositories it seems like Little Navmap uses a middleware called Little Navconnect to connect with Flight Simulator and Prepar 3D, and a plugin called Little Xpconnect to connect with XPlane.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby cporses » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:26 am

Thanks Johan, that is the right program. It has a learning curve, but it is invaluable flying aid. I have Xpconnect and and LittleNavconnect installed. They come default with the program.
As I mentioned, LNM works flawlessly with my other sims. I just would like it to connect to FG.
cporses

Postby slawekmikula » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:23 am

Right now LNM does not support connecting to the FlightGear. There is a reference issue on the github: https://github.com/albar965/littlenavmap/issues/138

I was looking at this some time ago and one have to create "connector" to connect FG with LNM like https://github.com/albar965/littlenavconnect and https://github.com/albar965/littlexpconnect. AFAIK one solution is to create this connector to listen to protocol information sent from FG via generic protocol and feed it to LNM via their internal interface. Unfortunately no work has been done on this task.
slawekmikula

Postby cporses » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:06 am

I contacted Alexander Barthel directly via his website. He responded very promptly and advised that, at the current time FG and LNM are not compatible. He hopes to rectify this some time in the future, but it will involve a lot of hard work.
cporses

Little Navmap

Postby Robertfm » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:56 pm

Various articles say this works with FG and yet the manual doesn't mention FG again. Simple question has anyone got this to work.
Robertfm

Callsign: RFM1
Version: 2020.3.11

Postby Robertfm » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:37 pm

I also contacted him, not received a reply yet. Let's hope he sees there is interest. FG misses out on so many things like Logitech add on's. Why do these companies not see there is a market place in FG users
Robertfm

Re: Little Navmap

Postby Robertfm » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:39 pm

Thanks not hopeful looking at posts. Why is FG never on any of these add on's. Has someone upset these companies. LNM is open source.
Robertfm

Postby WoodSTokk » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:17 am

FG can output all datas that LNM needs. The authors of LNM can build a simple interface to receive the data.
The FG developer are not responsible for LNM. Please contact the LNM authors.
WoodSTokk

Callsign: SX-W57
IRC name: WoodSTokk
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Robertfm » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:24 am

WoodSTokk wrote in Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:17 am:FG can output all datas that LNM needs. The authors of LNM can build a simple interface to receive the data.
The FG developer are not responsible for LNM. Please contact the LNM authors.

Your reply tends to suggest that LNM can do something simple. Their response to other poster says a lot of work was necessary. Now I have no idea which is true. I don't have this type of knowledge. I have read previously that 'we' fell out with Saitek over not allowing FG codes for them to work with. others say Saitek were the problem.

Who knows.
Robertfm

Postby Thorsten » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:28 am

I have read previously that 'we' fell out with Saitek over not allowing FG codes for them to work with

'we' can not do such a thing - the GPL license binds us legally as well as anyone else downloading the code - as soon as we put it on the repository and license it, we can not prevent anyone from using the code - whether we agree with the purpose or not, whether we wish that usage or not.

Your reply tends to suggest that LNM can do something simple.

FG is designed to communicate internals (properties mostly) to 3rd party applications. So yes, this can't be complicated at all.
Thorsten

Postby Robertfm » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:47 pm

So Saitek haven't made their products compatible because they choose not to. Why would they turn down potential lucrative market. LNM is open source so can't one of you wizards write a code to make it work. I am genuinely trying to understand.

I am a former Motel owner, suppliers of electronics bent over backwards to facilitate their products into our rooms.
Robertfm

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:58 pm

first thought on this last statement is: there was $$$ to be had in the motel business... not so much in the FOSS world...

as far as LNM interfacing goes, unless a developer with FG is also using LNM and decides to get involved, it is up to LNM (or someone else with the knowledge) to handle the interfacing... i know a lot of coders that use "really complicated" as an (initial?) excuse... but i also know that one has to know the different systems to do things like this and that's not always easy... LNM may interface with (eg) 10 different simulators... that means they have to know at least some part of those 10 different simulators... ISTR something about a 3rd party middleware tool used between LNM and (some?) simulators... perhaps it is this 3rd party middleware that needs/could be updated? i dunno... i just use Phi's map and don't know why i would need or want LNM at all...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:03 pm

LNM is open source so can't one of you wizards write a code to make it work.

Lots of people in the team would be able to do that if they wanted I guess. But given that we already have Phi as navigation map / instructor panel / external interface to FG - why would someone spent his time duplicating what it does?

Or is the tool so much better than Phi? If there's functionality missing in Phi, I'm guessing TorstenD would prefer to add it rather than provide a second tool.
Thorsten

Postby Johan G » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:37 pm

Note: I am not a programmer.

wkitty42 wrote in Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:58 pm:ISTR something about a 3rd party middleware tool used between LNM and (some?) simulators... perhaps it is this 3rd party middleware that needs/could be updated?

Yea sort of:
Johan G wrote in Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:32 pm:Looking at some readme files in his GitHub repositories it seems like Little Navmap uses a middleware called Little Navconnect to connect with Flight Simulator and Prepar 3D, and a plugin called Little Xpconnect to connect with XPlane.

Briefly looking into the source code it seems writing that middleware would not be as trivial as a one to one mapping. Also, apart from the relevant middleware repository, his middleware seems to be written using functions spread across two separate additional repositories (one being a library and the other an executable).

See also repositories in https://github.com/albar965/.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Next

Return to Support