Board index FlightGear Support

Uncontrollable rudder on ground, and then intense left lean

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Uncontrollable rudder on ground, and then intense left l

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:13 pm

that's one of the things they are doing, yes... SEO like this gives SEO a very bad name...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby tdammers » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:53 am

"SEO" is a f**'d up concept anyway, but this isn't even that - this isn't an "optimization", it's cheating. And because this isn't normal use of the forum, permission for this cannot be implied, and there hasn't been explicit permission, so this is actually a felony. It's also unethical on the search engine side; this is done in order to trick the search engine into producing *incorrect* results, by exploiting its heuristics (which, by necessity, aren't watertight - computers cannot actually understand web pages yet, they still have to fake it, and these links are crafted to create situations that break the heuristic).

Actual SEO isn't anything like that; done properly, SEO will focus on making the search engine's job as easy as possible, by providing abundant amounts of relevant meta-information, and structuring content accurately (e.g., headings should be marked up as headings, bolded things should actually be important, things should be tagged with the correct language, links should be marked up as links (not spans with an onclick attribute or such nonsense), there should be no hidden text, images should have a meaningful alt text, etc.). In other words, the best long-term SEO strategy is to make content that is actually good, present it in the most sensible way possible, and make it easy to navigate for humans and computers alike. And then you make it popular, so that people link to it a lot, from actual honest sources. SEO isn't about cheating the system, it's about cooperating with the system.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Postby Johan G » Sat May 04, 2019 9:05 am

This!

Also:
tdammers wrote in Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:53 am:[...] done properly, SEO will focus on making the search engine's job as easy as possible, by providing abundant amounts of relevant meta-information, and structuring content accurately (e.g., headings should be marked up as headings, bolded things should actually be important, things should be tagged with the correct language, links should be marked up as links (not spans with an onclick attribute or such nonsense), there should be no hidden text, images should have a meaningful alt text, etc.). In other words, the best long-term SEO strategy is to make content that is actually good, present it in the most sensible way possible, and make it easy to navigate for humans and computers alike. And then you make it popular, so that people link to it a lot, from actual honest sources. SEO isn't about cheating the system, it's about cooperating with the system.

This is one of the reasons why good articles on the FlightGear wiki is a good idea and why interlinking between articles is a good thing. If the "What links here" page for an article is empty and the article title is not too obvious, you need a bit of luck finding that article (and you might not know that you need to read that article to grasp a subject). Currently there are 176 such "orphaned" pages on the wiki.[1]

[1] See [Wiki] Special:LonelyPages for an up to date list.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby wlbragg » Sat May 04, 2019 4:41 pm

My only complaint about our wiki information is in finding it. Too many times I search relevant keywords and get nothing when I know it is there.
I'm grateful for all the work that went into grouping "like" information into the sidebar links section as once you find any one of those pages you pretty much have a link to all the relevant information right there in front of you.
We have great documentation in my opinion, it's just really hard for me to find at times.
That might be more my lack of understanding how to search the wiki though.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Alex H » Sat May 04, 2019 4:49 pm

wlbragg wrote in Sat May 04, 2019 4:41 pm:My only complaint about our wiki information is in finding it.
That might be more my lack of understanding how to search the wiki though.

You could use google to do it :D

Put this in your google search box

Site:www.flightgear.org search words
Regards

Alex
Alex H

Version: 2019.2.0

Postby wlbragg » Sat May 04, 2019 7:08 pm

Put this in your google search box

Site:www.flightgear.org search words

I'll give that a try, thanks for the tip.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Previous

Return to Support