Board index FlightGear Support

Catching spam bots (was: Flight gear not working properly).

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Catching spam bots (was: Flight gear not working properly).

Postby Hann » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:05 am

when i install flight gear on windows user the install from the website, the game installed properly and when i clicked the shortcut to open it, it asked me to the select the aircraft and airfield i wanted.

but when i installed it on ubuntu using the package manager, clicking the shortcut to start it put me on a preset airfield in a preset plane with no opening menus to let me choose my plane and airfield. from the in game settings i can change the airfield but theres no way to change the aircraft.

does anyone know whats wrong?

Last edited by Hann on Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hann

Re: Flight gear not working properly

Postby FlugHund » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:16 am

Edit the shortcut and add a " --launcher" behind /something/something/fgfs.
FlugHund

Callsign: D-HUND
IRC name: D-HUND / debdog
Version: next

Postby AndersG » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:23 pm

If the Ubuntu version was built with QT support. Otherwise you need to add some arguments to select your aircraft and starting location to your fgfs command instead. fgfs has been configurable for command line startup since at least 20 years.. :)

Running
Code: Select all
fgfs -h -v

should show you all command line options.
Callsign: SE-AG
Aircraft (uhm...): Submarine Scout, Zeppelin NT, ZF Navy free balloon, Nordstern, Hindenburg, Short Empire flying-boat, ZNP-K, North Sea class, MTB T21 class, U.S.S. Monitor, MFI-9B, Type UB I submarine, Gokstad ship, Renault FT.
AndersG

Callsign: SE-AG

Flight gear not working properly

Postby Kyarowe » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:05 pm

when i install flight gear on windows user the install from the website, the game installed properly and when i clicked the shortcut to open it, it asked me to the select the aircraft and airfield i wanted.

but when i installed it on ubuntu using the package manager, clicking the shortcut to start it put me on a preset airfield in a preset plane with no opening menus to let me choose my plane and airfield. from the in game settings i can change the airfield but theres no way to change the aircraft.

Kyarowe

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:15 pm

Hi,
Running FlightGear with --launcher in the commandline (can you add that to the ubuntu shortcut?) should open the launcher as on Windows.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby V12 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:06 pm

Kyarowe :
From where You installed FG ? From PPA, or did You used standard Package Manager ?
Fly high, fly fast - fly Concorde !
V12

Callsign: BAWV12

Postby Xthalopa » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:28 am

Xthalopa

Postby bugman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:33 am

Which version of FlightGear are you using on Ubuntu? If you are using a modern version, try running 'fgfs --launcher' from the command line. If that works, you could create a shortcut for it.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Re: Catching spam bots (was: Flight gear not working properl

Postby bugman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:49 am

For the record, here is a new type of spam bot attack. I've banned these 3 bots:

Hann - spam link in original post.
    Kyarowe - spam link in user profile, which is dumb as these are viewable by members only and webcrawlers cannot access the URL.
    Xthalopa - no spam links dumped (some bots simply fail their job).

Note that these bots copied text from a Ubuntu forum post:

July 21st, 2007
Joe88

Please keep an eye out for such suspicious repetitive posts. Note that bots will never respond to you. A Google search might be required to find the original forum post outside of this forum.

Regards,
Edward

Edit: Also note that I merged the 3 topics from the 3 bots here for the public record.
bugman

Re: Catching spam bots (was: Flight gear not working properl

Postby bugman » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:34 am

Note that the spam bots have recently been copying old text from the avsim forum (trawling for the text "flightgear"). If your response to a technical question is now missing, it is because you responded to such a bot. All threads are archived in the backend spam subforum.

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Return to Support