Board index FlightGear Support

Misplaced airfield ...easy way to shift?

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Misplaced airfield ...easy way to shift?

Postby Oswald » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:46 pm

Is there an easy way to shift an airfield that is utterly misplaced

I am currently flying the Nepal Bush route from St. Paul Airlines (see http://www.stpaulairlines.com/index.php ... 0nepal.htm ) using the PC-6 which is quite demanding anyway. I realized that some airports and particularly minor airfields are slightly misplaced in this beautiful area (great scenery!). This doesn't matter much somewhere in a plain, but it is a real problem in the mountains.

In the FG scenery, Jumla airport (VNJL) is located about 3 km NW of the real location in a side valley, deeply cut into this valley. It is nearly impossible to start and land there even with a strong STOL aircraft.

Is there any possibility to shift the whole thing to the right place within my own scenery folder (TerraSync, collected via Terramaster)? It is easy to get the correct GPS data, but it seems that there are several files I have to change.

Is it sensible to give bug reports of misplaced (or broken) airfields for future scenery updates?

If (with someone's advice) I should manage to shift the airport within my scenery, is there some place where I could send the solution, again for future scenery updates?

Oswald
Oswald

Re: Misplaced airfield ...easy way to shift?

Postby Thorsten » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:34 pm

Basically no - you'd have to re-build the whole terrain in the vicinity, but that'd create seams, so for a seamless solution you'd have to rebuild the whole of Eurasia.
Thorsten

Postby Oswald » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:13 pm

Oh well, that was a clear cut answer, thanks, Thorsten! I'll fly the PC-6 without passengers and with only light cargo payload, dive in with full flaps and slam into reverse thrust and brakes.
Oswald

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:21 pm

you might want to check over at the X-Place gateway and see if the airport is in the proper location over there... if it is not, then maybe file an update with the corrected data... FG updates its data from the X-Plane gate at infrequent times... that's generally when the default world scenery is being rebuilt... so, if it is correct in the gateway, it should automatically be updated the next time FG pulls the data from the gateway and builds the world scenery again...

work is ongoing to try to make the scenery update mechanism a bit smoother and allow for fast updating of scenery tiles without seams but the road is long, up hill, and fraught with peril... there's a huge amount of data in the GIS database that has to be updated, maintained, and queried for the land class shapes used in the scenery build, as well... the last time some of this work was exposed for testing, the machine spent something like 3 weeks running before it finished building the scenery area that was being tested... that was Hawaii, IIRC... i don't know if that scenery is being used in FG now or not... i don't think so, though... it needed a little more work :) instead some other user-contribution enhanced scenery was loaded for Hawaii IIRC...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Oswald » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:30 am

There are always new things to learn about Flightgear. I looked at X-Plane's Gateway Scenery Map and VNJL appears to be exactly where it is supposed to be. If I can believe the map ...
Oswald

Postby Alant » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:07 am

The seams may be less apparent than than the misplaced scenery.

The major problem is in rebuilding the scenery as terragear -flightgear´s scenery building tool- is somewhat flaky.

Alan
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:13 am

The issue with the seams is that you can create such scenery for your own use if you manage to deal with terragear but it won't be included in any official distribution (such an update was part of the original question).

(From experience I can also say that seams in mountains look quite dramatic...)
Thorsten

Return to Support