Board index FlightGear Support

FGAddOn Hangars in Launcher 2018.3

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

FGAddOn Hangars in Launcher 2018.3

Postby Oswald » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:16 pm

Hello dear supporters,

I am a little bit puzzled by the new FGAddOn hangar I can select in the launcher: Is there a relevant difference between ther Aircraft-2018 catalog and the former one? Do I find new or updated aircraft only in the 2018 hangar? What happens to often used planes of the old hangar if I only use the new one in the launcher?

Oswald
Oswald

Re: FGAddOn Hangars in Launcher 2018.3

Postby wlbragg » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:40 pm

Is there a relevant difference between ther Aircraft-2018 catalog and the former one?

Generally speaking no, other than any aircraft in the 2018 catalog are supposed to work with that version. Some aircraft are heavily maintained and as new simulator features are created some aircraft are adapted to those features and may only work in that version or newer. Ones that aren't adapted to new features or aren't as well maintained should still work minus the new features, or at least that is the goal. Developers strive to keep backwards compatibility when at all possible. Yet if we religiously did that we would still be flying stick figure aircraft with stick figure scenery.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Oswald » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:27 pm

Practical issue: If I uncheck the old hangar in the launcher, do I loose the installed aircraft?
Oswald

Postby wlbragg » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:23 pm

Are you talking about the QT launcher, the one you see before the sim actually comes up?
I'm not sure what it is your seeing. In my version the "Experimental" launcher in the sim was replaced by the QT Launcher window (which is what starts when you first boot up the sim). The only way I know of to delete an installed aircraft in the QT luncher is to "un-install" it. I know of know check box? There is the add-on portion of the QT launcher where you can add new "hangers", but that is a line item (path to a location), not a check box.
Can you be more specific?
wlbragg

Postby Oswald » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:01 pm

Yes, that is exactly it.

You see three versions of pc-6: The above is on my personal folder on my computer ("additional folder"), the medium one is the installed version of the old hangar, the lower one the yet not installed one from the 2018+ hangar.

In the screenshot above you see that I have activated the old hangar and on the top the new one. If I deactivate the older one, does it automatically uninstall the planes of its origin on my computer? I would like to keep some of them, being not sure whether they are still available within the new hangar.

Thanks, Oswald
Oswald

Postby wlbragg » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:57 pm

Yes, that will delete the aircraft installed in the hidden folder. YOu would need to copy them if you want to keep them. If you haven't done any work on them and the author is going to continue to offer the hanger, then removing that path can be added back in just as easily as removing it.
wlbragg

Postby Oswald » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:10 pm

THx
Oswald

Return to Support