Board index FlightGear Support

Floating Buildings?

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Floating Buildings?

Postby LTCSZ » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:12 pm

Why do the buildings in the Honolulu default scenery float above the ground?
LTCSZ

Version: 3.0

Re: Floating Buildings?

Postby vanosten » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:56 am

do you have a picture? When did you download the scenery? Have you configured OpenStreetMap buildings or random buildings or ?
Maintaining osm2city
vanosten

Callsign: HB-VANO
Version: latest

Postby danw » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:30 am

I saw this floating rooftop in the open streetmap version of downtown Honolulu:

danw

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:31 pm

i went there to the coords on your screen... i didn't see it but then i discovered something else weird that i don't think should be happening... that's a report for another area, though...

is it possible that that building simply hadn't fully loaded at that time? it takes time for all the scenery to load... and then there's how it all works together with the LOD stuff...

what version of FG are you using?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby danw » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:23 pm

I have version 2018.3.1 on windows 10, but I also see the same thing on the same version running on ubuntu 18.04. Looking at the ground under the floating rooftop, I see a short building (3-story maybe) that looks fully in place, so I don't think that this is due to a delay in loading. I do see delays in loading a lot of the openstreetmap buildings if I hover in place and rotate slowly, but I con't think this artifact is due to a loading delay.
danw

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:24 pm

i'm trying to understand the new LOD stuff in 2018.4.0 so i'm working with new code which may present quite different results than the old LOD code did... once we find the problem, if it is a problem, we can take care of it then... i know i had to wait for several minutes before one building in that area came in but then moving would remove it and then put it back again... not sure if that is due to something in the new LOD code or a problem with the building maybe being loaded via an xml file with range animations in it...

eg:
Code: Select all
<animation>
  <type>range</type>
  <min-m>0</min-m>
  <max-m>6000</max-m>
</animation>

that stuff is "BAD juju!" and causes problems with the LOD code... it should not be being used since the LOD code works (PagedLOD intro'd March 2013)... AIUI, range animation is to be deprecated and eventually removed... the first step is to ignore or remove it... by my count yesterday, there are over 4000 affected xml files in TerraSync alone... many are managed by scripts (OSM related) so it will be easy enough to remove them in the script and regenerate the scenery objects to update terrasync with... others (eg: Models/*) are going to be a manual job because the xml can be removed if it only contains a range animation... removing the xml means deleting it and switching the database to point to the ac file the xml was loading so some server side work to be done there for easiest and fastest fixup and deployment...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:12 pm

i did find this, though, which is certainly not LOD related... these brown sections are certainly placed wrong or shouldn't even be there... you can even see through the gaps between them...

i still need to look at the above other posted pic and get those coordinates again and go see what i see there now...
[EDIT]
yeah, i've gone again and looked and yes, i do see that other one... from higher up, it looks solid but from lower down, it is "empty" and see through...

from below

from above, same position as before but ~100 feet higher...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Return to Support