Board index FlightGear Support

Crashes - west of Gatwick Airport

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Crashes - west of Gatwick Airport

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:02 am

Hi there,
This is a rather strange problem - however, I recall other users talking about this many years ago.

When I fly the SAM or KENET departures from Gatwick, I usually have a FlightGear crash. Otherwise, FlightGear has never been more stable - my last crash was over six weeks ago! Could this be a corrupt scenery tile, bad navdata entry, problem in the route manager...?
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Re: Crashes - west of Gatwick Airport

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:28 pm

i just tried this in the UFO and don't seem to have any problems...

i started at EGKK on RWY 8L... used the AP to set destination to EGTG landing on RWY 27... selected the KENET2W SID in my SID list... we flew out to IGG01, DET01, DET02, DET03, SAM01, INTC, turned right to KENET, and then left into EGTG... other than climbing to 4225 to enter into EGTG's pattern for landing straight in on 27 (27-12), my max altitude was 4000 ASL just because i didn't go any higher after reaching 4000 before crossing SAM01... all in all, it was a fairly nice 30-40 minute flight...

NOTE: i do, however, see in my console that i have hidden a couple of water craft... IIRC, this is because of problems with them and the particle engine... this may be the cause of your crash... i simply renamed their xml file to blahblah.xml.hidden to hide them... i renamed them based on a previous particle problem with similar craft that we saw back in 2016, IIRC... that problem was solved but there are similar ones at times... i totally forgot that i had hidden these craft from FG...
Code: Select all
Path "/home/myuser/myflightgear/TSScenery/Objects/w010n50/w002n50/2925363.stg": Failed to load OBJECT_SHARED 'Models/Maritime/Civilian/Atlantic_21_afloat.xml'
Path "/home/myuser/myflightgear/TSScenery/Objects/w010n50/w002n50/2925363.stg": Failed to load OBJECT_SHARED 'Models/Maritime/Civilian/D_Class_IRB.xml'
[...]
Path "/home/myuser/myflightgear/TSScenery/Objects/w010n50/w003n51/2909008.stg": Failed to load OBJECT_SHARED 'Models/Maritime/Civilian/Atlantic_21_afloat.xml'
Path "/home/myuser/myflightgear/TSScenery/Objects/w010n50/w003n51/2909008.stg": Failed to load OBJECT_SHARED 'Models/Maritime/Civilian/D_Class_IRB.xml'
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Alant » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:01 pm

Gatwick is close to the 0 degree Greenwich meridian. Is this crash almost immediately after takeoff when using runway 08?

Alan

Edit
Forget that - you say the crashes are West of Gatwick, so you are using runway 26 and not crossing the 0 degree meridian. Sorry for the noise.
Alant

Callsign: Tarnish99
Version: latest Git

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:06 pm

No problem. It usually occurs about 4000 to 5000 feet.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby tdammers » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:27 pm

The first thing to do would be to run FG from a console (command line); if you have GDB around, you may also want to run the core dump through it to see where it crashes.

I've had FG crash seemingly at random due to a bug in FGCom; apparently what happened was that by flying a certain route with certain COM radio frequencies set, FGCom would at some point try to open a second voice connection (when the second COM radio gets in range), but the underlying library (forgot the name) doesn't actually support that and instead crashes. So do see if you can debug a little bit to give people something to work with.
tdammers

Callsign: NL256
IRC name: nl256

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:39 pm

Alant wrote in Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:01 pm:Edit
Forget that - you say the crashes are West of Gatwick, so you are using runway 26 and not crossing the 0 degree meridian. Sorry for the noise.

can't go by that... i originally started on RWY 26 and then decided to go get the chart(s) and do it right... the chart i used started on RWY 8, left or right, and then circled back 180 degrees after takeoff and reaching IGG01... we circled back west to pick up the DETLING VOR and follow it out to SAM01 before making our northerly turn to KENET...

i suspect it is something in the particle engine with those two craft i noted above... it is a very random problem and one that i've chased for a long while with numerous back traces being posted concerning it... note that the problem is not specific to those two craft... they just happen to be the two that i disabled as a quick work-around for the problem when i was doing a lot of flying around EGKK...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Support