Board index FlightGear Support

Questions About Shapefiles for TerraGear

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Questions About Shapefiles for TerraGear

Postby TribalBob » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:23 pm

Hello all,

I am making my first attempt at creating/editing terrain for FlightGear.

I have my height file, I converted the height file, I terrafitted the height file, I generated my airports with elevation data and now I am ready for shapefiles.

I am trying to use this resource for downloading shapefiles: http://osm2shp.ru

I know I need the landuse_ply download but is this the only shapefile I need...? On the wiki it mentions landmass data, point data and line data but it also says that the landuse data CAN be split into several types which makes me wonder if the landuse_ply shapefile already contains that data...?

Also, when I extract the landuse_ply zip file I get quite a few files which I assume all contain the same data just in various formats so I just want to confirm that all I need from the landuse_ply folder is landuse_ply.shp or do i need the cpg, dbf, prj, qix, shx, etc... files as well...?

Thanks!
TribalBob

Re: Questions About Shapefiles for TerraGear

Postby TribalBob » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:15 am

I think I've figured it out. I'm grabbing the landuse_ply, railway_ln, waterway_ln, highway_ln and route_ln for my shpaefiles
TribalBob

Postby stuart » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:29 am

Hi TribalBob,

Yes - you just need the .shp files.

Good luck!

-Stuart
G-MWLX
stuart

Callsign: G-MWLX

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:52 am

If you plan to edit the files in QGIS if I remember right QGIS needs the other formats to import the shapefiles properly? Not too sure about that, but for scenery generation you definitely just need the .shp.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby TribalBob » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:45 pm

Thanks guys!
TribalBob

Return to Support