Board index FlightGear Support

Aircraft template/modelling

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Aircraft template/modelling

Postby franco_lovato » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:13 pm

Hello everyone
I'd like to use Flight Gear as graphic interface for my dynamics simulator; I already succeeded in connecting the two and get them working together, but I'd also like to make my own graphic models and that's where I'm stuck. Is there any aircraft template? Is it possible to only define the graphic model while omitting the dynamic model (since I have no use for it)? Also, I read something about an aircraft generating wizard: is it still supported and available?
I need a very simple model, so I'd like to know what are the strictly necessary things and what is optional.

All help is appreciated, thanks!

Franco
franco_lovato

Re: Aircraft template/modelling

Postby Thorsten » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:22 pm

Is it possible to only define the graphic model while omitting the dynamic model

They're by nature completely separate and only tied together by an xml file for use in FG. Dependent on your license requirements, you can just use a 3d model of an existing aircraft (under GPL) or look in 3d model repositories (under other licenses).

so I'd like to know what are the strictly necessary things and what is optional.

A 3d model isn't necessary at all - I guess the simplest 'aircraft' definition is a Nasal script that updates position in-sim somehow - the rest is optional.
Thorsten

Postby franco_lovato » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:58 pm

Nice, so it should be easy to use a simple 3d model to represent the motion computed by my dynamics simulator. As far as you know, are there any standard aircraft template one can use to help defining a new aircraft?

Thank you for your help!
Franco
franco_lovato

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:18 pm

there are no ""templates"" per se... 3d models are ac3d files... you could use an existing one as a ""template"" but that depends on the one you use and the craft you are working on... you wouldn't want to use a 747 model for a piper cub, for instance... what you appear to be doing is the FDM (Flight Dynamics Model)...

http://wiki.flightgear.org/File_Formats
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:3D_Aircraft_Models
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Model_import_and_export
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Modeling_-_Getting_Started
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Support