Board index FlightGear Support

Scenery and Terramaster

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Scenery and Terramaster

Postby Nandoo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:06 pm

Mac OS High Sierra
Flightgear 2017.3.1
Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB
Problem occurs with every aircraft
aircraft from default hangar

Hello, I'm quite new to FlightGear and since my internet connection is quite slow, I decided to pre download scenery before I fly as opposed to using TerraSync as it wouldn't download fast enough. My apologies if I do anything wrong and if this is in the wrong topic or whatever

I looked at Terramaster and downloaded it from https://github.com/open744/terramaster
I selected the whole of the UK and downloaded it in 6 hours. The directory I have for Terramaster is /Users/[my user name]/Desktop/FlightGear Scenery/TerraSync

The one I have in Flightgear set in the settings tab is /Users/[my user name]/Desktop/FlightGear Scenery/TerraSync

I have checked the folder to see scenery, and it has many sub sections such as w020n50> w011n50 and if I open this folder it is empty

When I try to load flightgear it shows ocean even in the places where I downloaded it from Terramaster.

I'm really missing flying at the moment and any help would be really appreciated
Nandoo

Re: Scenery and Terramaster

Postby wlbragg » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi Nandoo, welcome to FLightGear!

The one I have in Flightgear set in the settings tab is /Users/[my user name]/Desktop/FlightGear Scenery/TerraSync

Do you remember when you added that path to Addons tab, (that should have been Addons/Additional scenery locations), if it gave you any feed back. Usually if you don't have the path correct it will let you know it doesn't see the scenery.

The path should point to the directory that contains the subdirectories of Airport, Terrain, etc.
So if "/Users/[my user name]/Desktop/FlightGear Scenery/TerraSync" has the Terrain directory in it then that is correct.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Nandoo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:31 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome!
For some reason I am unable to change the path in the Addons tab. It shows a different directory.
[edit] sorry I didn't see your point about the subsidiary folders. When I open the Terrasync folder(/Users/[my user name]/Desktop/FlightGear Scenery/TerraSync) it shows folders with the names:
Airports, Models, Objects, Terrain, Buildings, Aircraft, and TerraSync( I presume for scenery downloaded by TerraSync?)
Flies any Boeing plane 737-300>
Favourite plane - 777-300ER
FlightGear noob
Nandoo

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:00 pm

you need to add that folder to your scenery paths and then turn off terrasync... you cannot change what's there, only delete it or add to it... do not delete what is already there, though... especially since this is a new install... instead, click the [+] button and navigate to that TerraSync directory... do not go into it... just double click on it so that it is accepted into the paths list... now you should be able to go back and click the [Fly!] button and enjoy your scenery...

there may be a some tile directories without anything in them... they should be alright... they will be populated later if/when you expand your scenery installation...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Nandoo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:09 pm

Hang on.. I'm very confused

Are you referring to the settings tab? If so I have already pointed flightgear to that folder
FlightGear noob
Nandoo

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:26 pm

oh, ok... i wasn't sure when i read the above if you had added it or not... generally you don't have to if you're using terrasync because terrasync sneaks it into the paths when it is started... when you're not using terrasync, you have to add it so FG can find the scenery...

this is all because you're sharing the same directory between multiple update methods... i'm doing it, too! :) my scenery is updated by internal TerraSync when i turn it on, terrasync.py script externally when i run it before going flying, or TerraMaster externally when i run it... i generally use the python script, though... it is fast and easy but i'm also at the command line (CLI) 99.9999% of the time ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Nandoo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:28 pm

I'm using Mac OS.. unfortunately i can't do this :(
FlightGear noob
Nandoo

Postby Nandoo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:29 pm

And also, in the settings tab, I have pointed FG to the folder where TerraMaster is downloading the scenery to. But it will not show when I start the simulator
FlightGear noob
Nandoo

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:33 pm

really, you can but i don't know the particulars of doing the python thing... i know you should be able to run java stuffs which is what TerraMaster is written in... so in your case, you're using TerraMaster and you could, at some point, turn on TerraSync in the sim and update the scenery that way... when you're on a fast unmetered connection, of course ;)

[edit]

you posted another message while i was writing this one... that setting is exactly what i was speaking of...

in any case, can you screenshot the launcher's addons paths list screen for us so we're all on the same page? you'll have to host it on dropbox or imgur or some place like that and give us a link to it... maybe also provide a screen shot of your TerraMaster settings so we can make sure that path is the same, too...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Nandoo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:41 pm

Thank you so much for sticking through with me. This is extremely appreciated, it really is.

Anyway here are my Terramaster settings, The settings tab in the FG launcher and the Add-ons tab in FG launcher
https://imgur.com/a/4mrGu
Can I catch up with you in 10 hours or so? It's 11PM here and I really need some sleep:)
FlightGear noob
Nandoo

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:39 pm

ok... first i'm on the east coast of the USA... i'd guess that i'm 5 or 6 hours behind you since you wrote your post about 45 minutes ago... i'm UTC-0400 right now... it is 18:35 (06:35PM) when i write this... everything you need to know for this problem should be below... specifically #3 ;)

so, here's what i see in your pictures...

1. don't do the --airport and --parkpos in the "Additional Settings" box... use the location tab on the left... you can select the airport and the parking from there... you might need to scroll in to the airport map to see things clearer but that's easy just rolling the mouse wheel forward and back... just click on the parking position and it'll be set...
2. you can list only one --property item per line...
3. on that top box of the Addons tab, click that [+] (plus) button on the lower right of that box... navigate to your terrasync directory on your desktop and add it to the list... leave that red highlighted one alone... don't change it... just add the new one on your desktop that you have terramaster pointing to... terramaster and FG both need to be pointed to your scenery directory so this is how you point FG to it...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby wlbragg » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:21 am

For further clarification, you want to point to your new scenery using this box.

The correct setup would have been to leave your original terrasync directory alone and put you new downloaded scenery in a separate folder somewhere. Then all you had to do was to put the path to that new scenery folder in the above "Additional scenery locations" box and you should see it.

But it sounds like you added the new downloaded scenery to you terrasync folder, right? In that case point to that folder in the "Additional scenery locations" box as shown above. I'm not sure what that will do to the terrasync system for getting new scenery on the fly, it may break it. If so then you might want to shut off "Download scenery automatically".
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:32 am

wlbragg wrote in Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:21 am:I'm not sure what that will do to the terrasync system for getting new scenery on the fly, it may break it. If so then you might want to shut off "Download scenery automatically".

it won't do anything... i've already reported, several times, that i use terrasync.py most of the time but i also have had TerraSync and TerraMaster updating the same scenery directory ;)
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Nandoo » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:59 am

Once again, thank you ever so much for the very detailed explanation! :D :D :D
I clicked the plus sign in the addons tab and navigated to my terrasync directory as that's where I downloaded the scenery from Terramaster, however, you also stated that the correct way would be to leave the terrasync directory alone, and create a new folder for the scenery Downloaded from Terramaster. If I created a new folder for explicitly the Terramaster scenery to go to, then in the addons tab pointed it to that folder, would that be OK?(obviously I would have to redownload it though it should be no problem as I plan to do all downloading overnight)
Also while adding the new directory in the Addons Tab, I accidentally deleted the previous directory(the default one), please tell me If this should make a difference

here are my new settings

https://imgur.com/a/8iwd4
FlightGear noob
Nandoo

Postby Clive2670 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:44 pm

That looks like it's right! I use a simular path in Windows It should now show up!
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Next

Return to Support