Board index FlightGear Support

Navigation

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Navigation

Postby hoanghuynh » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:31 am

I have just installed the last version of Flihgtgear in my WIN 10 computer, downloaded from the official FG site. I am an old user of Microsoft Flight Simulator X.
When running in "chase mode", I used to add within the same window a small panel with the minimum instrument for navigation, the radio panel and the GPS panel.
I am trying to do the same in FG and so far have been unable to add the navigation panel with the minimum instruments for navigation. Is there any way to do that?
I have not tried yet with the radio panel and the GPS.
hoanghuynh

Re: Navigation

Postby FlugHund » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:26 am

Easiest way to get some info displayed is using the HUD. It's relatively easy to tweak it by xml file(s). At least on aircraft which utilise the standard HUD and do not bring their own.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Head-up_display

You prolly want to disable 3d for the HUD somewhere in the in-sim menu.
This archive contains some more instruments for the HUD (as well as some complete HUDs): http://beggabaur.rocks/daten/wiki_medie ... .3.tar.bz2

I am not aware of an easy way to just display a panel since most of FG's craft do not have a 2d panel. Mayhap a second camera in a separate window might work. There are also efforts to display some instruments on external devices like phones or RasPies.
FlugHund

Callsign: D-HUND
IRC name: D-HUND / debdog
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:26 am

If you have an external device, look into Phi

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Phi

Some planes also offer the possibility to render canvas instruments to popup windows, see for instance here for an example - but that's a per plane feature and not generally available.
Thorsten

Postby Yakabuki » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:34 am

There is a mini-panel available, but I think it might be disabled in preferences. Anyway, it's a single row of instruments that appear at the bottom of the screen. It uses standard instruments from the /data/aircraft/instruments directory, so it's easy to customize. It looks pretty good on the screen, but to be honest, I prefer the HUD for most purposes when standard instruments are not desirable. You can easily customize it to display most any kind of
information you want.

I just wish there was a way to specify color and size of text.
Yakabuki

Postby Hooray » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:57 pm

Thorsten wrote in Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:26 am:Some planes also offer the possibility to render canvas instruments to popup windows, see for instance here for an example - but that's a per plane feature and not generally available.

That's actually rather simple to change by making this a part of the underlying MFD framework (obviously, that assumes that people are using the MFD framework ...)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Thorsten » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:49 pm

Assuming the plane uses canvas in the first place...
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:54 pm

right, I forgot to think about aircraft/cockpits still using hard-coded legacy instruments based on the old od_gauge code - by the way, that's also stuff that's still using old OpenGL code (just like PUI, the 2D panels and the HUD) - i.e. agradar, groundradar, wxradar, navdisplay, kln89b and the Map dialog, so it's not just PUI that is complicating the whole "modernize rendering" effort, despite getting all the "attention" :D
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Support