Board index FlightGear Support

Head tracking systems

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Head tracking systems

Postby D-ABBA » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:25 am

Hi experienced users.

Who has experience with Flightgear and Eye tracking Systems?
I found a youtube video in which a user of X-plane TRACK IR introduced.
Does TRACK IR work with FlightGear? What are the prerequisites for this?
I am a spectacle wearer.
Does that interfere with eye tracking?
Which eye tracking system is best, if any?

A little bit of reality profit would be great.

Many questions? Little answers found on the internet. I ask for feedback on this topic.

Mit den besten Grüßen
Thomas Polzer (D-ABBA)

Follow the link for Informations

https://www.conrad.de/de/Search.html?se ... 1%1Fc37345
Last edited by D-ABBA on Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D-ABBA

Callsign: D-ABBA
Version: 2018.3.1

Re: Eye tracking systems

Postby Johan G » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:21 pm

That is usually called head tracking since it monitors your head movement. Eye tracking is something slightly different and is used for research in visual cognition, advertising and in devices for people with severe disabilities and a whole slew of other things (in essence they track where your eyes are pointed and what you look at). ;)

Anyway, I think a good starting point could be the FlightGear wiki article Head tracking (perm). It lists some of discussions on the subject and options available. In essence it boils down to affecting the properties used by data/Nasal/view.nas with data from a device.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Re: Head tracking systems

Postby D-ABBA » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:08 pm

Hi Johan G,

thanks for your quick responce. Youre right,

You have recognized it correctly. In fact, the head tracking system that I have introduced offers input via head movements.
I understood your instructions how to proceed. For some input devices, FlightGear has xml files that handle FlightGear functions.

So first of all I determine if TRACK IR supplies an xml file. If that is the case, I can make the TRACK IR for an adaptation to FlightGear.
The following functions would be necessary:

-- Zoom in
-- Zoom out
-- View up
-- View down
-- View left
-- View right

I would be glad to have a few tips from FlightGear experts. :)

Thanks for all interested posts

D-ABBA (Thomas Polzer)
D-ABBA

Re: Head tracking systems

Postby D-ABBA » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi Johan G,

I think I could give myself an answer. I found the following from the TRACK IR manual:

There are basically two modes of operation:
Mouse Emulation Mode The TrackIR takes over the function of the mouse in mouse emulation mode. That the control over the mouse movement and the mouse View in Games. As you move your head, the direction you want to see changes as well. The TrackIR mouse mode can be used in EVERY game where the viewpoint can be controlled with the mouse or with hotkeys. You can use your real mouse and the mouse emulation at the same time. When you move the mouse, the TrackIR simply hands over control to the mouse. As soon as the mouse 'stands' again, the TrackIR takes control again immediately.

In fact, in the FlightGear pulldown menu (File) I can select the mouse input options "Click right mouse to cycle mouse behavior". Then TRACK IR should be used as previously described.

I'm curious if I'm right.
Best Regards

D-ABBA
D-ABBA

Return to Support