Board index FlightGear Support

Warning no DNS entry found..

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Warning no DNS entry found..

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:09 am

ideally you would use the one nearest you but they are selected in a random round robin form to spread the load between them... one of my runs was with goneabitbursar and the next was with mpserver16...

the last one, ns334561, is currently unavailable...

the entries have a time to live of 10 minutes and the last one could be restored to service at any time...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby planeTalk » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:07 pm

wkitty42 thanks for the reply. A couple of questions that might boost my understanding:

I know little about network infrastructure. How do I tell how 'near' a server is to me? Measure the time of a ping? I'd guess that physical nearness and bandwidth of connection might correlate poorly.

Is server selection by roundrobin how FG normally pulls in data via Terrasync? This is then over-ridden by the option --prop:/sim/terrasync/http-server=http://flightgear.sourceforge.net/scenery, right?

Cheers

planeTalk
planeTalk

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:24 pm

planeTalk wrote in Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:07 pm:How do I tell how 'near' a server is to me? Measure the time of a ping? I'd guess that physical nearness and bandwidth of connection might correlate poorly.

ping is near useless for any real diagnosis... it only tells you the roundtrip time... traceroute, on the other hand, tells you the path with the times between each hop... as for the distance, from what i've seen, many systems use geolocation instead of number of hops...

planeTalk wrote in Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:07 pm:Is server selection by roundrobin how FG normally pulls in data via Terrasync?

the selection is made for each execution, IIRC... once selected, that is the server used for the entire session... if you exit and reload FG, it may pick another scenery mirror...

planeTalk wrote in Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:07 pm:This is then over-ridden by the option --prop:/sim/terrasync/http-server=http://flightgear.sourceforge.net/scenery, right?

yes, that eliminates the DNS NAPTR query and decision making...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Previous

Return to Support