Board index FlightGear Support

--vc=120 crashes when I unpause

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

--vc=120 crashes when I unpause

Postby LearningToFly » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:35 pm

I'm new to this, and I've been practising landings - so I'm launching FG from the command line, specifically with this command...
Code: Select all
/Applications/FlightGear\ 2017.2.1/FlightGear.app/Contents/MacOS/fgfs --in-air --altitude=2000 --roll=0 --pitch=0 --enable-freeze --prop:/engines/engine[0]/running=True  --prop:/engines/engine[0]/rpm=2000 --offset-distance=8 --airport=EHLE --enable-fullscreen --vc=120 --disable-real-weather-fetch --turbulence=0 --visibility=20000 --httpd=8080

All works fine - default aircraft is the c172p - I switch airports and try again. It's starting paused, so I can select "AutoStart" and, since I've set a speed, it's usually not too hard to get myself up and running once I un-pause.

I thought I'd try another aircraft, so I tagged --aircraft=pa28 onto the command line.

Crash as soon as I hit "p" to unpause, regardless of whether or not I've done "autostart" from the Piper menu. Tried the same sort of thing through the GUI (with 'in air" set), and, in both GUI and command line versions, the problem is caused by the command "--vc=120". Without that, everything runs, except, of course, that I immediately hurtle to earth! Tried --vc=80 - same problem.
I've tried launching this plane "normally" from the GUI, and the plane flies fine.

Entirely reproducible, so if crash reports are required.....

OSX 10.10.5, FG 2017.2.1
LearningToFly

Callsign: WL1890
Version: Personal

Re: --vc=120 crashes when I unpause

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:20 pm

this sounds like something specific to the PA28... as i understand it, they're still working on the FDM of that craft... have you tried another one?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby LearningToFly » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:58 pm

Works fine with --aircraft=c172p
I'm often found flying the skies of Portugal of an early evening - ~6pm - call sign WL (WineLover)
LearningToFly

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:28 am

yes, i saw that before... the c172p may be able to handle loading like this better than some other craft... have you tried any others than the c172p and the PA28?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby LearningToFly » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:04 am

wkitty42 wrote in Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:28 am:yes, i saw that before... the c172p may be able to handle loading like this better than some other craft... have you tried any others than the c172p and the PA28?

I've just tried the following, which happened to be aircraft I'd already downloaded...
val = Aichi-D3A - fine
cap10b = Cap10B - fine
cap10c = Cap10C - fine
J3Cub = J3Cub - fine
Alouette-III_sc = Alouette-III - fine
Cessna337 = Cessna337 - interesting this one - despite every other simulation starting frozen, this one did NOT - propellers rotating, and aircraft heading towards earth - despite it starting up saying "simulation paused" - another 2 "p"s (unpause, pause again) and it froze.

Aside from the weirdness on the Cessna337, so far the PA28 is the only one that simply crashes when I unpause IF I have a speed set.
I'm still having trouble with bobbing all over the place during final approach, and the PA28 seemed really stable, which is why I was using it.
I'm often found flying the skies of Portugal of an early evening - ~6pm - call sign WL (WineLover)
LearningToFly

Postby LearningToFly » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:29 am

I have found that, if I start at 4000 ft instead of 2000 ft, I can get the engine started and the plane under control before I've dropped to the 2000 ft where I "normally" start, so I'm now unable to land this plane too!
LearningToFly

Postby D-ECHO » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:29 pm

Where did you get the Pa from? There is a new one by it0uchpods out some days ago it should Work fine viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32783
D-ECHO

Pronouns: Bea (she/her)
Version: next

Postby LearningToFly » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:49 pm

I installed it straight from the GUI - it says...
Piper PA 28 (YASim) by Emmanuel BARANGER (3D/FDM) / 5H1N0B1 (System)

I've just installed the one you linked to (not really keen on adding things into the app package, but it wasn't recognised in Application Support, which is where the others are downloaded to).
Good news - it doesn't crash.

OK - so I've renamed it from "PA28-Warrior-master" to "PA28-Warrior" and now I have an aircraft with cockpit. I've lost the "AutoStart" (or was it "Start"?) and the engine isn't running and "Ready for takeoff" isn't enabled when I'm already in the air.

If someone could run me through how to get the thing going mid-air, I'd be grateful. In the meantime I'm getting quite used to stabilizing the original as it drops like a stone from 4000 ft.
LearningToFly

Postby Thorsten » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:09 pm

You have to be realistic - the default expectation should be that you can not start an aircraft in air unless it's been specifically prepared to do so.

The option dates back to when FG was much simpler and aircraft didn't really come with systems simulations, just 'always on' engines etc. - starting a complex craft in air might involve setting dozens of properties and Nasal variables, starting certain scripts in the phases needed,...

So if you find an aircraft that supports it, good for you - but the majority probably won't play along.
Thorsten

Postby FlugHund » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:50 pm

Right, that's the attitude the project needs to produce quality aircraft for a simulator (in contrast to a game).
FlugHund

Callsign: D-HUND
IRC name: D-HUND / debdog
Version: next

Postby LearningToFly » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:52 pm

OK - good to know - I was just reporting back about the "new" vs "old".
There are enough aircraft that do support the "mid-air" start to keep me practicing for many moons to come :-)
LearningToFly

Return to Support