Board index FlightGear Support

System requirements

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: System requirements

Postby khalrab27 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:56 pm

Ok thanks! What if I run it without upgrading RAM? With only 4 GB RAM
Would it work?
khalrab27

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:10 pm

possibly... give it a try! :)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby khalrab27 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:39 pm

Ok! Thanks for everything!
khalrab27

Postby fadenum1 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:40 am

i dont know if my pc is gonna work but can someone please tell me?
intel core i7 3630qm 2.4ghz
radeon 7600m with 1024 gb vram
6 gb ram
and 399 storage free
fadenum1

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:31 am

should be fine for the most part...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby hhh » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:47 am

Heres My PC Information

Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2830 @2.16 Ghz 2.26 Ghz
Ram: 4.00 GB (3.89 GB avilable)
299 GB HDD Avialable
(I know That my pc is not suitable for flightgear)
hhh

Postby Hooray » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:05 am

These days, even on an old/outdated system, you should at least have 4-6 gb of FREE RAM - and a dedicated graphics card with at least 1024gb of VRAM - these specs would have been common a decade ago.
In roughly 12-24 months from now, future FlightGear versions can no longer be expected to work on such systems.

Again, keep in mind that a workstation/server-based system will typically offer plenty of RAM (64+ gb), plenty of cores (12+) - for under $300 US, all you'll need is add a dedicated graphics card (given the current situation, I would also opt for a GPU not much newer than 12-18 months) - but even just spending between $100-200 US should be enough for most people's needs, and you should still be well under $500 bucks.

A while ago, I purchased a refurbished/used HP Z820 with GPU (GTX 1060 6 GB) and 192gb of RAM for a little under $900 bucks + shipping.

And given FlightGear's architecture, it's unlikely that FlightGear is going to be able to fully/properly utilize such a system over the course of the next 5-10 years (but we will see) :lol:

Either way, there's no need to spend a ton of money on dedicated gaming rigs, some outdated CAD hardware (workstation or server) will typically suffice - having plenty of RAM helps obviously, and adding a dedicated GPU is comparatively simple and cheap. Besides, rebuilding FlightGear from source is possible within a couple of minutes, thanks to all the resources.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Previous

Return to Support