Board index FlightGear Support

Real world glider pilot seeks help!

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Real world glider pilot seeks help!

Postby jnc » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:33 am

Hi all,

I'm a hang glider pilot, heading to the European alps next year for competition. I've started looking around for a basic soaring simulator to fly around the mountains in (i know the sim is not entirely realistic for soaring - i'm hoping to use it to familiarize myself with the terrain for route planning.)

Everytime i open FG i end up sitting on the deck in boston airport, i can set the hang glider, but cant figure how to to change location at the start - i then manually reset myself to about 5000ft over the italian alps and fly from there. However the weather simulation wont kick in for me - I have yet to experience a bump thermal or ridge lift of any kind! :)

From reading on here i believe there is a way to start FG from command prompt that would solve these issues - can anyone help me do this?

WIndows 10
FlightGear 2017.2.1
No graphics card
NA
Scenery downloaded tru source forge, linked from FG website.
is there any output printed to the console (black window)? (I dont know what this is)

Command line (i cant figure how to change this):

Options passed on the command line:
--launcher
Options set in the launcher:
--aircraft=org.flightgear.fgaddon.ask21
--fg-scenery=C:/Users/Noel Collins/Documents/FlightGear/Scenery
--airport=KBOS
--enable-auto-coordination
--enable-freeze
--console
--enable-terrasync
--enable-fullscreen
--geometry=800x600
--prop:/sim/rendering/multi-sample-buffers=false
--prop:/sim/rendering/multi-samples=0
--disable-rembrandt
--timeofday=noon
--season=summer
--disable-real-weather-fetch
--metar=XXXX 012345Z 15003KT 10SM SCT036 SCT150 17/08 Q1016 NOSIG

Apologies if i'm asking dumb questions! I am reasonably computer literate, but this is beyond me. Thanks all!

Noel
jnc

Re: Real world glider pilot seeks help!

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:41 am

Have you seen this?

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Soaring

Might answer most of your questions...

From reading on here i believe there is a way to start FG from command prompt that would solve these issues

If you want AW thermals then no, there's no way to start AW from the commandline.
Thorsten

Return to Support