Board index FlightGear Support

777 One Engine Inoperative - unexpected behaviour

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

777 One Engine Inoperative - unexpected behaviour

Postby kiteflyer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:39 pm

Version / Aircraft:
2017.2.1 (latest)
777-200

What I did:
- reached 33,000 feet, then cut off fuel to starboard engine
- slowly descend to around 20,000 feet and kept flying to destination for several hundred miles - while that part seemed fine, speed was increasing faster on descent than normal with 2 engines
- then wanted to descend and land at airport

The unexpected behaviour:
- basically the plane just keeps going and cannot slow down
- slight descent (-100 fpm) will increase speed; level flight, even with airbrakes deployed, doesn't slow the plane down at all
- kept circling around for a hundred miles to try to reduce speed and gradually descend, but it will stubbornly hold at 310 knts, even with airbrakes
- the instrument panel shows that there is thrust only on the port engine; starboard stopped working, and the autopilot kept compensating with yaw / ailerons slightly towards the right throughout - so that seems to be working

I haven't tried this with any other planes yet, so cannot say if it is just the dynamics modeling particular to this plane.
kiteflyer

Re: 777 One Engine Inoperative - unexpected behaviour

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:13 pm

@kiteflyer, for some reason or other, when you cut the engine, the thrust remains at whatever it was. It is a major bug -- I have seen it, but forgotten to report it. Thanks for reminding me :)

I'll redownload the 777 from the official "FGADDON" to make sure before reporting it.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby kiteflyer » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:13 pm

Thanks!

How can you tell the actual input / output parameters during flight (e.g., thrust, or even the actual flight levels being used (e.g., the discrepancy between what the HUD reads vs. the altimeter readings))?
kiteflyer

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:37 pm

Use the property browser (/) key and go to engine/engine[0] for engine no 1 and engine/engine[1] for no 2 ;)
Jonathan
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Return to Support