Board index FlightGear Support

Status of Automated, AI ATC?

All general support: help on flying, installation, hardware, getting online etc. There are lots of users and developers to help you out.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- where did you download your aircraft/scenery from?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

Please report any bugs not specific to an aircraft on the issue tracker.
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Status of Automated, AI ATC?

Postby svelez » Sun May 28, 2017 4:31 pm

Hello All,

I am confused about whether AI ATC should work. Using FG 2017.1.3 and 2017.2.1 (terrasync for scenery), I cannot get it to function, and some posts on the forum seem to indicate that this is incomplete functionality that isn't really available.

However, the flightgear manual's VFR tutorial (http://flightgear.sourceforge.net/getst ... x6-1580009) acts as if it does/should at least for KLVK.

Does anyone know how/where I would be able to get the official status on this feature?

Thanks,
Steven
svelez

Re: Status of Automated, AI ATC?

Postby wkitty42 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:51 am

reading the code would be the main method unless you'd rather wait for a developer to take the time to dig in and look for you... i can say that at least one part of the AIATC is working... that being the part that talks to the AI craft... the other part of the AIATC, the part that you can somewhat communicate with, did work the last time i tried it... you have to be on the proper frequency as well as doing everything exactly as scripted... if you miss a step it will stop responding... i'm not sure if it is the missed step or if things just get out of the expected order but it does stop... for the most part, things are good if you can get it working... i've used it at KSFO and a couple of other airports but it has been a while and i can't even remember how i used to get it started :lol:
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby svelez » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:58 pm

:) I guess I stepped right in to that.

I have considered reviewing the code, but since I am not a domain expert, I am not sure I could detect whether it was working as intended in any given situation... even after learning FG architecture.

I was mainly just confused as to why the tutorial in the manual describes it working a particular way, and why I didn't see this. User error?

In any case, I'll try KSFO one day to see how that works now.

Thanks,
Steven
svelez

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:03 pm

Try Amsterdam Schipol and press the ' key. If you are on a parking stand it is supposed to work -- you should get ATC to the runway --> provided you are on the proper frequencies. Check the ATC frequencies menu, should be able to get it from F12 key (Radio Dialog).
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby svelez » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:15 am

Sorry for not following up on this. I tried both at KSFO and Amesterdam Schiphol and manage to contact ground control. It should be noted that I had to be starting from a parking spot. Lined up on the runway, I could not contact ground or the tower.
It is also a bit unforgiving since I am not familiar with all the processes, I would get to a point where I didn't follow instructions correctly or couldn't remember what to do next and then I couldn't figure out how to get in contact with the next controller or ask for a repeat.

I never did manage to contact tower during approach at livermore (KLVM, as in the manual), and I am still not quite sure if I managed to try at the right time and place or not.

So, it looks like the system is at least started... but it may require a little more finishing or a little more skill [than what I have] to use effectively.

For anyone's reference that might need it.
svelez

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:31 pm

yeah, the current implementation of the AIATC for use by humans does require that you start in a parking spot... trying it at the runway is far too late... it is also only for startup and taxi clearance and movement... you cannot use it for landing at this time... i'm fairly confident that it will be expanded in the future but no idea how far out that may be...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby pawjer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Really looking forward to have more complex AI ATC in FG. At least at the level of M$ FS series. Would be definitely enough.

Since it has been possible to build much more realistic simulator than FS, so it should be with ATC. Flying online over Europe when there are 8 active planes is very far from being realistic. Good AI ATC would do much better.

Kind regards,

Pawel
pawjer

Return to Support